Is there a way to restrict data usage on a basic phone?
Morgan_s
Enthusiast - Level 1

My current plan has 2 smart phones, I plan to add a basic flip phone for my kids to use when they are out, but I do not want them racking

up an insane data bill.  Is their a way to disable data thru my plan for a specific device, or can it only be turned off on the device itself?  Which would be useless because they could just turn it on at will.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Morgan’s, what an exciting time to get your children devices. With Basic phones you do have the capability of blocking mobile web access on the device along with applications downloads to prevent data usage even with our More Everything or Verizon Plans. This feature must be added through our Customer Support channel at 800-922-0204. Data can not be block on Smartphones but can be restricted with Family Base Controls.
AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

It is fairly hard to go through a lot of data on a basic flip phone so I do not think it will be much of a problem.  If they somehow figure out a way to use lots of data on a basic phone, you would need to add Family Base to your plan and then you can restrict data on a per line basis. You could also ask Verizon rep if the data feature can be removed from the basic line. I pre data sharing days you could do this, but I am not sure with the data share plans current in effect.

0 Likes
Morgan_s
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I only gave the 3 gig and between me and my wife we average 2.2-2.8 per month, I don't want to up my data at all, and kids r kids so I know they'll try to watch videos which eats data no matter how much I tell them not to then I'll take the phone away and then what was the point of getting it in the first place, so I'd rather disable from the start.  So can it be disabled thru the plan or not?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Morgan’s, what an exciting time to get your children devices. With Basic phones you do have the capability of blocking mobile web access on the device along with applications downloads to prevent data usage even with our More Everything or Verizon Plans. This feature must be added through our Customer Support channel at 800-922-0204. Data can not be block on Smartphones but can be restricted with Family Base Controls.
AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!