LG Extravert and VZ Navigator
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently upgraded to an LG Extravert and purchased the $10 a month/75mb data plan.  Included in that plan is VZ Navigator.  I have NEVER been able to get the VZ Navigator to work properly.  I set the destination and it does it's initial calculation and then gives the first visual and verbal command, then displays a "NO GPS" error.  I have detailed the issue on the LG Forum located here http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/verizon/topics/vz-navigator

LG has opened a ticket on it and I have opened a support ticket with Verizon but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention from my perspective.  Does anyone out there have VZ Navigator working on an Extravert?  If so how did you get it going?

Thanks - Allen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Extravert and VZ Navigator
jollygreengiant
Enthusiast - Level 2

Need a bit more info... are you sitting inside a car? Inside a house? In downtown with taller buildings all around? How long are you waiting for a signal?

This is a typical basic low power phone, so unless you are outdoors and not downtown, you cannot expect to keep a good signal at all times. This is why even the proper car GPS units still mount in the windshield, in order to keep a good signal. Your phone would probably keep a good signal if it was mounted in the windshield too. These are low powered basic phones, not high powered GPS specific devices, so you cannot expect full featured high power GPS device functionality out of it.

Also you may have to wait a few minutes for it to properly activate the GPS, find all the satellites and triangulate your position. This may take anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes. Patience is needed to use these properly. If you find yourself using GPS more often, spend the $80-100 to buy a dedicated car GPS. Remember this is a cell phone, not a dedicated GPS unit.

0 Likes
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  Did you read through the link on the LG forum that I referenced?  If you did, you would have gotten the majority of your questions answered already.  It doesn't work anywhere.  Not standing outside in the middle of the yard.  Not sitting on the dash of the car, not anywhere, however I believe the GPS function does work.  As I already described over on the referenced LG site, if you are using VZ Navigator and then go to the main menu, then location information, you can see that the latitude/longitude/altitude and MPH are all updating every second and are HIGHLY accurate.  However the GPS function within the software only works on the first initial calculation and will NEVER updated after that.

I also realize that this is not a GPS nor a smart phone, however it is a feature that is offered through the data plan and the Extravert is listed as a supported phone on the Verizon VZ Navigator web site.  I am not asking it to do ANYTHING that Verizon isn't saying is supported.  It is a supported data package, supported application, supported phone.  If Verizon is advertising it as a working solution then, this SHOULD work.

Thanks - Allen

0 Likes
jollygreengiant
Enthusiast - Level 2

gotcha... wasn't sure since I didn't see all the info. I have tried it before, but wasn't impressed, so now I don't use it since I have a dedicated GPS for the car (and another proper handheld GPS for geocaching).

0 Likes
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happy - Green - Large Person 😉

If this doesn't get resolved, I may be leaning that way myself.  I just thought that since the phone supported it and it was a freebie (included) in the data plan I would utilize it.  I kind of justified the extra $10 a month data package to myself by considering that it would save me purchasng a GPS.  My eldest is headed off to college this fall and I have thought about getting a dedicated GPS for his car and since nealry all smartphones have that feature built in now, the $ for a GPS has really tumbled.

Thanks - Allen

0 Likes
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Get this for a fix.  I have not received ANY updates from VZW nor LG, but I did notice the VZW has now removed the LG Extravert as a supported phone on the VZ Navigator web site.  I guess that helps out new users who can NOW see that it doesn't work, but what about those of us who have already purchased the phone - REAL NICE VZW.

- Allen

0 Likes
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update - Or should I say NO update.  I think that since my phone is still under warranty I am going to call every 10 days or so and ask to have my phone replaced/swapped until it begins to cost VZW $$$ then maybe it would get some focus.

- Allen

0 Likes
agrooms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I was hoping.  VZW released version 5 software update and I did the OTA (over the air) update yesterday with high hopes that this release would fix the NO GPS error.  It did NOT.  So I did some internet searches to see what was in the  V5 update but am not finding much.   I am still hoping that they will get this issue addressed and resolved soon.

Smiley Sad - Allen

0 Likes
fjb4

Just chiming in.  Same problem.  Doesn't work anywhere.  First step, then "NO GPS" and its done unless I restart it.

This is ridiculous.

I'll be watching this thread as well as the one at LG.

0 Likes
RD3

OK. Just spent 90 wonderful minutes at the Verizon store. I have had the same problem. Went to the store two weeks ago, and after not being able to resolve the problem the sales associate ordered me a replacement LG Extravert and it exhibited the same problems as the first. I Googled the problem and found this discussion and printed it to take with me to the Verizon store. After the sales associate and technical support spent one hour trying to understand and resolve the issue, the technical support person "researched" the issue and found this discussion on their forum. She told me that there was a technical issue causing the problem and that as soon as software update was completed it would be made available to the users. I had to get the store manager and told her that I bought the phone under their representation that VZ Navigator worked on the Extravert, and I wanted a similar phone that would work. She agreed to swap me out with the Samsung Brightside. Hope it works, but don't let these guys jack you around. It took my researching this issue for them to acknowledge and then resolve the issue. We'll see how the new phone works, but I give them a D- on their response to my problem. It takes persistence in dealing with a big company like this.

0 Likes