LG Terra doesn't work in Canada
TaraB1960

Last year I replaced my 10 year old basic phone with an LG Terra b/c both the people in the Verizon store and the Verizon phone support said it would work in Canada. We have a US and Canada calling plan. The phone does not work in Canada, and neither the people in the Verizon store nor the phone support have been able to help me. I feel ripped off, and it has caused a real difficulty since our vacation campsite is on Canadian towers and I travel through Canada each fall to visit family. Wondering if anyone else has tried an  LG Terra in Canada, or has recommendations for a small light basic phone that would.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG Terra doesn't work in Canada
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked the settings to verify the phone is set up for global use? The specifications indicate the phone is global ready to work on GSM networks. LG Terra | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Network Mode Settings - LG Terra™

1. From the main screen, navigate: MENU > Settings & Tools > Phone Settings.
    Note Utilize the 5-way navigation pad to highlight and the OK button to select.
  2. Select System Select.
  3. Select Network Mode.
  4. Highlight one of the following then select SET:
    CDMA Mode
    This setting should only be selected if experiencing service issues in locations that offer multiple network types and only CDMA is needed.
    GSM Mode
    This setting should only be selected if experiencing service issues in locations that offer multiple network types and only GSM is needed.
    Note The preferred international carrier is automatically selected.
    Note You can manually select an alternate carrier but it may require as many as 6 registration attempts with that carrier prior to successful registration.
    Global
    This is the preferred setting for most locations.
0 Likes
TaraB1960

Yes, we've tried all the settings, and have been back to the store a couple times where they shrug and say it should work. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has been able to use their LG Terra in Canada.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're truly disappointed to learn you haven't been able to use your phone in Canada, TaraB1960. It's important we get to the bottom of this. Your phone is global capable and will work in Canada. Please ensure your phone is set to Global Mode, http://spr.ly/6588DkSA6. Please tell us more about what happens when trying to use the phone while there? What signal is showing while there?

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TaraB1960

Yes, I've actually tried all 3 settings, in a few different parts of Canada. I consistently get the message that there is no signal when I am out of range of US towers, despite the fact that my Verizon IPad finds a signal, and my spouse's Verizon iPhone does as well. It means I can't even check my messages.

0 Likes
ericw_vzw
Verizon Employee

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing trouble with your device. When will you next be traveling to Canada? When you checked in with Technical Support and stopped in the store, did they check to make sure your SIM card was activated properly?

0 Likes
TaraB1960

Yes, they've checked that and each time they said I should be all set now. I will be on Canadian towers for a few days this spring.

0 Likes
TaraB1960

Verizon has not been willing to make this right and it has soured my opinion of the company.  This started when I went to the store to ask why my old phone didn't work in Canada anymore and they said I had to buy a new one b/c technology had changed, so I did, and it doesn't work in Canada. I feel ripped off. We  are hostage to the Verizon towers at home.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Firstly the Terra is hardly a new device. Secondly this sounds more like LG issue than a Verizon one. The terra came out in Jul 2015 hardly new. Also you should have gotten basic phone that has LTE capabilities as 3G only phones will not work after Dec 31 2019.

0 Likes