Microsoft: 'Work is underway' on Verizon's Lumia Cyan Updates
primortal
Master - Level 1

Owners of the Lumia Icon, the Lumia 928 and the Lumia 822 in the US have been waiting patiently for Verizon Wireless to push out the long awaited update to the Lumia Cyan firmware. Today, Microsoft's Windows VP Joe Belfiore posted word on his Twitter account that work on those updates is "underway" but it sounds like it may take a while for those phone owners to get the Cyan download.

In one post, he writes, "Q's on update: yes we're working to get WP8.1/Cyan updates out. T-Mo 925 is done and 521 coming soon. Verizon work underway but farther off.". In a follow-up post, he stated, "MS/Verizon are working on some bug fixes-- VZW taking the quality seriously. We aren't sure how long it will take, but work is underway."

Do you believe Verizon is working hard enough to get the Lumia Cyan update to its Windows Phone customers? All we know is at this point, they are very far behind their competition.

Well at least the Icon is listed

Source: Microsoft: 'Work is underway' on Verizon's Lumia Cyan updates | Windows Central

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Microsoft: 'Work is underway' on Verizon's Lumia Cyan Updates
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the update, it is nice to have some legit update on this.

0 Likes
erhman2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to agree that this is the most substantial piece of information that I have seen thus far.  It actually addresses the issue and makes an attempt at getting a decent answer to the update actually being released.

EyeballIB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd just love to hear something along the lines of "barring any setbacks, we expect it will roll out in mid-November."

To me, saying they're working on some bug fixes simply means there are cobwebs in the testing room.

primortal
Master - Level 1

They probably have one tester that comes in once a week for an hour and spends the frst 45 minutes going through emails since the last time the person was in then has a 10 minute break

EyeballIB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the only way they can reach him for updates is via Hangouts.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

And since Microsoft is Google's competition, Google throttled the hangouts, this caused them to not reach each other effectively, so really Google is the one delaying the windows update...

...of course were joking.

0 Likes
penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

This statement from Microsoft (Mr Belfiore) is enlightening in that it informs us Verizon isn't the only hold-up involved here, it is also Microsoft. While Verizon can be "blamed" for refusing to talk to their customers, there ARE issues, and Microsoft is also involved in the process of fixing them. This isn't just a Verizon thing.

To me, it is very disheartening - hasn't Mr. Belfiore got the message that Microsoft is SERIOUS about Windows Phones now? What did he think buying the mobile division of Nokia meant, exactly? If MS can't help Verizon deliver updates to software and firmware in a timely manner, why am I even bothering with Windows as a smart phone platform?

It sounds like they chose to help one carrier at a time. What's up with that? The Windows Phone division doesn't have enough money to hire qualified people to support more than one carrier's validation processes at a time? So disappointing.

It gives us hope though, hope that the updates will still come for Verizon devices, so it's certainly not all bad. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

I hope they are updating the software with the latest bug fixes. I sincerely hope Verizon is NOT creating a bunch of feature controlling crapware on the phones to limit feature/bandwidth usage like I understand that they do for some Droids.

I hope the Microsoft/Nokia layoffs are not affecting the phone OS updates.

With all the latest "cutting edge"phones and software latest updates going to AT&T first, it seems AT&T is Microsoft's preferred provider.

Even with their layoffs, at least Sprint had the balls to announce that it would be rolling out WP8.1 for their HTC phone in December: Windows Phone 8.1 update for Sprint HTC 8XT pushed back to early December | Windows Central

If I were an owner of that phone, this information would provide me with some comfort to know they are at least working on it.

LOLUPFEE
Enthusiast - Level 1

penterax wrote:

This statement from Microsoft (Mr Belfiore) is enlightening in that it informs us Verizon isn't the only hold-up involved here, it is also Microsoft. While Verizon can be "blamed" for refusing to talk to their customers, there ARE issues, and Microsoft is also involved in the process of fixing them. This isn't just a Verizon thing.

To me, it is very disheartening - hasn't Mr. Belfiore got the message that Microsoft is SERIOUS about Windows Phones now? What did he think buying the mobile division of Nokia meant, exactly? If MS can't help Verizon deliver updates to software and firmware in a timely manner, why am I even bothering with Windows as a smart phone platform?

It sounds like they chose to help one carrier at a time. What's up with that? The Windows Phone division doesn't have enough money to hire qualified people to support more than one carrier's validation processes at a time? So disappointing.

It gives us hope though, hope that the updates will still come for Verizon devices, so it's certainly not all bad.

Really. Can you not read between the lines? This statement was to basically say that Verizon is over the top on their requirements. I would be willing to bet that the "bug fixes" mentioned are for current Verizon specific bloatware like Backup Assistant. MS likely finally caved and said "fug it we will change the code to allow your crap on our phones"....but...but...Verizon is just a service provider with nothing to do with the code...yeah right!