Paying for text messages that I don't want
soilman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon support said that if you have prepaid Pay as You Go service, you are charged for text messages regardless of whether they are opened or not. "As soon as the message reaches our towers from the sender the charge occurs." That doesn't sound very good. Makes me not want to give my number out to anyone. Spammer could send me text messages. Someone could dial wrong number - and I have to pay for it. With my $0.99 daily plan, a single message could be $1.08 - $0.99 for "access" for that day, and $0.10 for the particular message. That could easily come to over $32 per month for messages I have no interest in and didn't want to get.

Labels (1)
Re: Paying for text messages that I don't want
soilman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize that I added wrong. $1.09. Anyone know if there is some way that text messages can be blocked? Also, a way to prevent people I've called, from seeing my phone number on their caller ID? For now, for people who I want to call me, and reach me when I'm away from home, but who I don't want to receive text messages from - I'm giving them my voip phone number, and having them call the voip number, and having the voip phone forward calls to my verizon wireless phone. Basically, I'm just giving my voip number to people. But that doesn't help when I have to dial people, when i'm away from home, using my verizon wireless phone. Is there some way to spoof the caller ID, for example have it be the phone number of one of my other phone lines. Perhaps if i forward the call from verizon wireless to my voip line, and have the voip line dial the person I'm calling, and display to them the number of the voip line?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@soilman - There really is no way to spoof a caller ID in the manner that you are speaking. You could always do *67 to block your number to a particular caller. You may have already done so, but if you haven't, please contact pre pay support at: 888-294-6804. After you enter in your info, for the menu system please press 4, 5, 4, to get to a live person. They may be able to offer other configuration options.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask us. Thank you soilman, take care!

NicandroN_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
soilman
Enthusiast - Level 2

NicandrolN_VZW, how do you know I am "soilman"? My messages are signed "Theodore (removed last name to comply with VZWW ToS)." ???

I went to verizonwireless.com, and then selected...

Services > Add-Remove Features > checkbox “caller id block.”

That page indicates there is no charge for this feature. So now, no-one should be able to see my caller ID. However I found out somewhere, I don't remember where, that if I want someone to see my CID, I should be able to let my CID through to them by dialing *82 before dialing their phone number. I'm not sure if the following will work, but to try and make this easy, I added a contact to my contact list named "unblock CID out" and gave it the phone number *82. But I'm not sure if this will work to unblock CID on my next call, if I first choose "unblock CID out" in my contact list and press send, and then choose someone in my contact list who I want to call, and press send. Also, I'm not sure if I am going to be billed $0.10 for a call to *82. My plan is prepaid, where I pay $0.99 per each day that the phone is used (plus $0.10 for each anytime minute).

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your real name is displayed only to you and your username "soilman" is displayed in the community to everyone else. Also please don't post your full name on this public forum as it is against the rules of the community

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
soilman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had no way of knowing that the community sees a different page than I do. I had no reason to think anything other than, if I could see my real name, everyone else could see it also.

I had already spent several hours trying to figure out how to stop it from displaying, without success. Spent even more time trying to stop my email address from displaying - and how do I prevent my email address from being displayed to the community? I don't have a problem with people contacting me via a form, without seeing my address, but having my address on display risks inviting spam.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see your email address.

One way to see what others see is to sign out of the community and view it as a guest.

Also under your profile, you can edit your privacy settings. While in the editing mode, you can "view" your profile as others see it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
soilman
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I sign out, and click on soilman, I don't see anything about sending soilman an email, at all. If I sign in, and click on [my name here], I can see my email address, so there is no way to tell what others are seeing, if they wish to send me an email through my profile page on the forum.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You generally don't want your email address visible to the rest of the community. Especially since you shouldn't post personal information on the forum itself.  If members want to send you private messages, you can use the Direct Message system after both users are following each other.

This what I see on your profile.

Screenshot_2012-10-18-12-29-26.png

0 Likes