RE. Samsung brightside
weazl

I just got this phone and am going to take back and get the phone I was originally going to get.

This phone is way to sensitive and switches to something else when I didn't even do anything.

Also the shift key doesn't work on the keyboard.   Going back to a flip!!!!

Verizon should give customers 30 days to figure out if they like the phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: RE. Samsung brightside
rowland5050

I just purchased one also.  It does take some getting used to but has so many features that are good

0 Likes
weazl

Hi- I know it was a nice phone, but something was wrong with this one, like I said in my conversation.   Didn't want to take a chance and get another.   My friend also has it and has had issues with it since day 1.   In the first day I had it, I learned some things that she still hadn't figured out.   I don't text and all that other stuff.   Other reviews say that people have had issues with it and to not buy it until Samsung fixes the problems.   I just bought it , because of the price.

Good luck with yours.

0 Likes
sugarhillkid
Enthusiast - Level 2

get rid of the phone as fast as you can.....a waste of my money and verizon has done nothing to rectify the situation.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

What kind of issues is your friend having? I filed a complaint with the Mass.Attorney General's office that Verizon is selling and continues to sell KNOWN defective samsung brightside cell phones. A verizon exec called me today and claimed that Verizon knows NOTHING about these problems (CALENDAR AND ALARM FEATURES DO NOT AND HAVE NEVER WORKED!) but yet another commenter emailed me and stated the there is an INTERNAL Verizon employee problem blog that DOCUMENTS THESE VERY PROBLEMS!!!! I am interested please if you are having these problems and your friend, too. Thank you!

0 Likes
weazl

Hi- I returned mine , because of the issues.   My issues were that it would just

jump to something else when I didn't even do anything (super sensitive) ,

couldn't get the shift key to work on the keyboard.   After trying to call one

contact # and then had to call their other # it wouldn't go & had to press it 5

times.  Finally had to get out of it and dial the number. This happened a couple

of times.   My friend still has hers and had the same shifting to anything and

still has issues with it dropping her calls.  Also having to press things alot

to get them to go.

Thank heavens I still had time to take mine back.   When I took it back I told

them it had issues and Samsung needs to fix it.   Verizon should also give 30

days for customers to decide if they like it.

Good luck

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

I hope the people who have posted about their calendar and alarm functions not working read this - THIS IS IMPORTANT! As you know, Verizon CONTINUES to deny that the Samsung Brightsides are defective. I just spoke to the owner of the alleged "fake retailer" from which I purchased my Samsung Brightside. David H, the "executive correspondent" for Verizon emphatically stated that the store from which I purchased my phone is NOT an authorized dealer. Guess what? The store is, in fact, a "premier" dealer so Mr. H lied to me about that. MORE IMPORTANTLY, however, is that the owner of the store had his team check a Samsung Brightside - NEW IN THE BOX - and the team REPLICATED both the epic fail of the calendar function and the alarm function!!! I AM NOT CRAZY WOOHOO!!!!

He is going to continue to test the Samsung Brightsides new in the box that he has in his store. If he replicates the epic fail of the Calendar and Alarm functions in all the phones he has in the store, HE IS GOING TO PULL THEM FROM HIS SHELF!!!!!!  Finally someone is listening to me!

The Samsung Brightside is DEFECTIVE. It could be a bad batch of defective phones and consumers who have purchased this phone but do not use the Calendar and/or Alarm features may not even know these two features DO NOT FUNCTION! It could be a FIRMWARE problem - a defective chip that no update is going to fix!

Consumers: this problem has been well documented in an internal Verizon employee problem blog but Verizon CONTINUES TO DENY THERE ARE ANY PROBLEMS!

Here is my question: Does Samsung KNOW that the Brightsides are defective? Has Samsung notified Verizon of same but Verizon will not pull these phones from their shelves because of the loss of $$$$$$$$$????????

How many consumers have purchased the Samsung Brightside and do not even KNOW that it is defective???

I will keep you posted. This is not about simply getting a working phone. This has become a principle matter to me - and for all consumers who may have unknowingly purchased a known defective phone. It has been four months now and Verizon still denies there is a problem. All these threads prove people are having near or identical problems with their phones.

CHECK THE CALENDAR AND ALARM FUNCTIONS!!!!! please let me know! 

0 Likes
phedrabarbour

I too am having the same issue as everyone here.  My calendar does not work.  I enter an event in my calendar for a particular day but the the alert/reminder does not go off and if you click on the event lets say it was set for June 15th when you click on the actual event it will have a completely different date like let says July 22nd.  I thought i was really stupid at 1st and that i was just not setting something correct for the alert to go off, so yesterday i decided i needed to really check my calendar out to figure out what i was doing wrong.  well low and behold it was not me, it was the phone itself inputting the wrong date.  Now let me say when i bought this phone in May one of the 1st things i asked the verizon employee at the actual verizon dealer how is your customer service.  i told them that the most important thing that i cared about was the customer service and how they do whatever they can to make sure their customers are taken care of.  I was told that they have the best customer service there is and that they do anything they can to help their customer.  If I have ANY issues at all they will make sure it is taken care of.  i switched from ATT because of their crappy customer service and their attitude of not wanting to help their customers.  Well let me say for the 1st 15 days i had the phone with Verizon they were a kind as can be and wanted to make sure i was completely satisfied, well guess what they could care less now.  I have been on the phone with them for hours about this situation and the whole time they kept telling me they have never heard of this issue that i was the 1st person to bring it up.  i was transferred to numerous agents and not one would help me.  the then transferred my over to samsung and from there i was transferred to numerous agents who had no idea what i was talking about and then the last agent said that there was nothing samsung can do that the engineering dept at verizon needed to open a ticket with the engineering dept at samsung so they could get software updated to fix this issue.  so back to verizon i went and i was transferred once again numerous times and finally someone said yes we know about this issue and they are working on a ticket so software can be updated to fix it.  well they said this could take weeks, months, who knows.  they said that this issue has been open for a while, which as you can see from this forum there are customers complaining about this issue since March.  I bought this phone in May, they sold me this phone Knowing that the calendar did not work.  They told me all they care about is that the service works, that is all they supply is the service and as long as the service is working then they are doing their job.  i said that they have no right promoting a product and selling it to their customers when they know there is an issue with it.  they then told me that there is not one phone out there that does not have an issue and if they attempted to sell a phone that was perfect then they would be out of business.  this is a bunch of crap------how can the legally sell a phone that they know is not working correctly,, how can they possibly stand behind it.  I said ok well then i have know problem paying for their service BUT that i should not have to pay for the product that has a major issue because as far as i am concerned the calendar is a very important part of the phone.  they said they will in KNOW way give me a refund for the product that i am basically stuck with it BUT they suggested that I sell it to someone else and then buy myself a different kind of phone.  Now I would never sell an item to someone if i knew there was something wrong with it....that is pure deceit.  Did I mention that i bought 3 of these phones for each one of my family members and ALL 3 have the same problem.  I said to them so you all are going to continue to sell these phones in the store knowing that they have a defect and she said yes because know phone is perfect.  i am filing a complaint with the bbb as soon as i get off this forum.  I will not stand by and allow them to continue to do this.  i am going to the store and i will tell everyone i see that verizon does not stand behind the products they sell and that they knowingly sell items they know have defects and they do not tell you about them.   PLEASE everyone push this issue because if we dont they will continue to get away with this.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

I just read your comment and I am not surprised that Verizon is doing the "deny deny deny" with you. it snowed me in the same way. I finally heard from the OWNER of the retail store at which I bought my phone and he had his team in the store pull a brand new samsung brightside from the box. HE DUPLICATED THE EPIC FAIL of the calendar and alarm functions. He stated to me that he is going to continue to test the new in the box samsung brightsides in his store and if he finds that he can duplicate the epic fail of the calendar and alarm features, he is going to PULL THEM FROM HIS SHELVES!!!! Someone is finally listening to me.

I firmly believe that the phone is defective. I know NOTHING is perfect in the world of technology but I do not believe this is a 'software' issue - I think this is a firmware issue - a hardware firmware defect and no software update is going to fix it. Verizon has denied since march there is anything wrong with these phones. It is lying to consumers. the phone is defective. I have over a hundred emails from consumers who are having identical problems and who knows how many more people own this phone but do not use the calendar and alarm functions so they have no idea that either or both of the features work? retail value of this phone is $250.00. Multiply that by 100,000 customers - 2.5 million dollars. that's chump change to verizon and samsung. But it's NOT chump change to each consumer who is forking out either the retail price or any price below thereof and getting a defective phone.

Call the better business bureau  BUT CALL YOUR STATE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE and file a formal complaint. The mediator here in Mass. at the Mass. AG's office said if she received enough complaints from Mass. consumers about this issue, she would re-open her file and institute a full investigation. I believe Verizon is knowingly selling a defective cell phone - the Samsung Brightside and consumers are being railroaded because Verizon knows there is no resolution in sight.

Do not give up on this! My next stop is Mike B. at Fox News Undercover in Boston and a reporter for the Boston Globe.

That ought to get everyone's attention.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!!!!!

0 Likes
Verijon
Enthusiast - Level 2

From my recent review of the Brightside:

This phone would be the best basic phone ever if it didn't have one huge design flaw: the reminders and alarms rarely work.  I finally discovered the root of the problem, so keep reading if interested. 

My wife and I purchased 2 of these phones to help us stay organized and they have done the exact opposite because the alarms are so unreliable.  My wife has spent several hours on the phone with Samsung and Verizon trying to get them to fix the problem.  Each time, the techs play dumb saying they have never heard of a problem with the calendar!  Really? There are hundreds of online reviews documenting this problem and my wife has sent the phone to Samsung for service 3 times already, but Samsung and Verizon are unaware of any problem?  I guess that means that no fix is in the works so DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE if you need a reliable calendar/alarm.   If you already own this phone, do not let Samsung and Verizon off the hook.  Harass them until they either fix the problem or send you a different phone.  Do not take a replacement Brightside as the problem is clearly an OS design flaw and has nothing to do with your phone being a lemon.  Samsung has hacked my wife's phone (in an attempt to try to fix it I presume) but it is still defective and now constantly flashes a red triangle that means the phone is roaming (which it isn't) and software updates are impossible. So now my Wife's phone has two problems instead of just one.  Thank you, Samsung!

I am beginning to wonder if Verizon is purposely withholding a fix on this issue to pressure dissatisfied customers into upgrading their phones and data plans.  Think about it: we saps buy this phone because we want smart phone features without the data plan and Verizon purposely withholds an important fix knowing that it will be difficult for people to go back to other basic phones since the Brightside is superior in most aspects.  What can a customer that needs a good calendar do now other than upgrade to a smart phone?  Is it a coincidence that Verizon completely changed their data plans soon after the Brighside was released?  I doubt it. Verizon knows where the money is and a popular basic phone that requires no data plan is not where it is.  So why fix it when you already have people locked into new 2-year agreements?

I finally solved the riddle for why the reminders and alarms work sporadically.  There did not seem to be a pattern, but there is.  The problem with these phones is that if you set an alarm or reminder that has an alarm time that is earlier than the time you are setting the reminder at, the alarm will fail.  In other words, say it is 12:00PM and you want to set a reminder for tomorrow morning at 7:00AM, the alarm will fail because the phone is too stupid to understand that the alarm is intended for tomorrow not today.  The phone thinks you meant 7:00AM in the past so the alarm fails.  I don’t think it matters how far into in the future you set the reminder for, but I haven’t checked that out yet.  So the only way to have the alarms work is to set them at a time that is earlier than the time you want the alarm to alert you.  The date and time seem to be treated independently by this phone.  Seems like it would be an easy fix for Samsung, but they would rather pretend there is no problem.

I guess all we can do is make sure we set all of our reminders at midnight and the phone will work perfectly!

0 Likes