Ridiculous experience trying to activate a new phone
smonesson

I am very frustrated with verizon right now. I have been using a Samsung Gusto 2 for the past couple of years. The phone has been breaking and since I could not get any reasonably priced non-smart phones from the verizon store I bought a BRAND-NEW samsung gusto 2 online. When I went to register the phone with verizon it would not let me because I did not pay for prepaid for 6 months before switching it over. I have been a verizon customer for 11 years and don't understand why this process has to be so difficult and EXPENSIVE. The phone obviously has the ability to be compatible to the verizon network so why is it necessary for me to pay over $30 extra a month for the next 6 months just to be able to register it? Also I am due for an upgrade with verizon but am only able to upgrade to smartphones for some reason (unless I want to pay more money for an obviously cheaper phone). When I try to get a new non-smartphone I am told that it will cost $50 minimum...the whole point of getting a non-smart phone is for me to save money so I don't understand why there is so much pressure for me to switch over. The representative that you had on the phone was very helpful so I will give verizon that. Overall though I am very frustrated and pissed off by this whole process. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a new phone that isn't the newest technology. Not everyone wants a smart phone and people should not be punished because of this! I ended up having to buy another phone - the samsung gusto 3 just to be able to fix this problem. For a company that makes so much money it is bullshit how you treat customers who have been loyal to you for over a decade.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ridiculous experience trying to activate a new phone
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like you bought a pre-paid device to replace your regular post-paid account phone.  As you found out, that won't work.  A pre-paid device has to be used for at least 6 months on a pre-paid account before it can be used on a post-paid account.  I don't make the rules, but I do know the two types of accounts are set up differently and phones aren't interchangeable.

You should be able to find a compatible basic phone on eBay or swappa.com for a reasonable price - just be sure it is branded Verizon, is usable on a post paid account, and has a clear ESN (no balance due on a previous account, not listed as a lost or stolen device).

0 Likes