SSL Error accessing email on basic flip phone
hhiker

I have a SAMSUNG Gusto flip phone.  At one time I was able to access email, but no longer.  The error I have is similar to the following error that was reported:

Re: I can't access e-mail from the mobile web on my LG flip phone, any suggestions?

I followed the same steps as the person that reported the error in trying to access email:

dashboard

Mobile Web 2.0

Verizon Wireless (top banner), under it VZW Today

item # 1  Emailitem #1 Email

Verizon Wireless (top banner), under it Email

item #2 Yahoo Mail

SSL/TLS session failed

Note the I am getting the SSL error before I am even presented with a sign on screen. 

I receive the same error if I type in the URL address for Yahoo mail, Gmail, or Hotmail.  By the way, I tried m.gmail.com and that doesn;t work either.  I get the same SSL error.  I can access email fine on my laptop. 

At one time I was able to access all of these accounts on this phone.  I admit I don't use it that often, so I am not sure when the email access stopped working. 

Anyone have any ideas (other than trading up to a different phone, which I refuse to do)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SSL Error accessing email on basic flip phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hhiker,

Checking your email when on the go is definitely a good option. We want to make sure that works awesome for you. Do other web sites still load in mobile web? Does teh VZWToday page open when you open your web browser?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hhiker

All the other sites seem to load correctly.  For example, I check the weather options and that works fine.  It is the email sites that do not load and always return an SSL error. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry about the trouble with your email. Let's keep going on this. Can you try going to mail.yahoo.com in the browser and see if it will let you sign in that way?

EricW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hhiker

No, as I said, I receive an SSL error when trying to connect to these email accounts: 

m.gmail.com

hotmail.com

mail.yahoo.com

I receive the error before I even get to a sign on screen.  Therefore, the error has nothing to do with my email accounts. There must be a setting on my phone somewhere with the SSL certificate that is either missing or invalid.

Lets concentrate on getting access to gmail and forget about the others for a moment.  I am sure if I can fix the SSL error for gmail the others with take care of themselves.  If not, at least I will have at least 1 account that I can use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hhiker,

Thanks for confirming that for us. I'd recommend making sure your device is up to date as a next step. You can do this by navigating to Settings & Tools > Phone Info > Software Update. If an update is available, please download and install it. If we still don't have success after that, I would recommend completing a factory reset on this device by following the below steps. Keep in mind that a factory reset will clear all data from the phone. http://vz.to/1gtq5UW

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes