Samsung Convoy 2 - mobile email interfering with handsfree?
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and/or found a fix other than disabling mobile email. I have a bluetooth handsfree device in my car.  It woks perfectly with the Convoy 2 for making calls, etc. However, intermittently I would press the button to initiate a call, and nothing would happen. Once, I saw a message something like 'function not available during a call' or something like that on the front screen. A few other times, I would open the phone, and would see it displaying a mobile email notification. The handsfree couldn't initiate voice dialing mode until I cleared the notification.  I turned off notifications, but was still getting them for some reason. Finally, I turned off automatic message downloading, so there won't be any notifications. It now only checks for mail manually when I tell it to do so, which is an annoying loss of functionality.  I have never noticed that it failed to let me answer a call with handsfree, just that it wouldn't let me initiate a call. digging out the phone to flip it open and clear the notification is not a safe option.

anyone have a solution other than only using part of the functionality of the phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Convoy 2 - mobile email interfering with handsfree?
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

just to update in case anyone else comes across this in a search:

I've been able to turn automatic email message downloading back on, but I have to leave notifications off. any notifications interfere with initiating anything handsfree. I can live without it popping up a notification about getting email.

However, I did notice that there were other times the phone wouldn't initiate a call. I had programmed the red side button to take me to the Apps screen, since I didn't use push-to-talk. sure enough, even with the phone in my pocket, there were times when the front buttons would unlock and the side button would activate, and my phone would be sitting with a 'OPEN PHONE TO CONTINUE' message. opening the phone would show I was in the Apps screen.

The phone update last year which increased the unlock delay did help this, as it occurred less often. but just increasing the delay still means it can unlock in your pocket and activate the side button. I tried to reprogram the side button to something that wouldn't prevent Voice Command functions from working, but haven't found anything. there doesn't seem to be a 'turn off side button' option, which would be nice.

if there is a setting for the side button that would work, please let me know. I've gotten used to fishing out my phone and clearing the screen when handsfree dialing won't work, but it defeats its purpose as a safety feature.

0 Likes