Used Escapade (WP8990VW) cannot be activated despite clean ESN
ELIROS40

I bought a used Verizon Escapade WP8990VW phone on ebay advertised as "Clean ESN", which I confirmed upon receipt. The phone had no SIM card.  I then purchased a pre-paid plan through Page Plus Cellular, as they said I did not need a SIM card for the phone.  They checked the MEID HEX and IMEI, first and apparently it all checked out ok.  After going to a PPC store and trying over the phone, being escalated through 3 levels of CSR, I was finally told "the phone cannot be activated". Why?  Can Verizon help?  Have I lost my money?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Used Escapade (WP8990VW) cannot be activated despite clean ESN
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a CDMA only device that requires you to dial *228 and option 1 to activate the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ELIROS40

We've tried that and several other numbers, e.g., *22800, *22801, *22890, etc, and none works.  No matter what is dialed,  I get a recorded message: "You are roaming.  To call your mobile carrier, or any other phone number, purchase a calling PIN...." and activation cannot be completed.  Help!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Page Plus Cellular might have a different activation code.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ELIROS40

Page Plus initially told me to go to a Verizon store. I did. At the

Verizon store they told me they could not help me, that Page Plus had to

activate my phone. Ultimately, as stated in my initial e-mail, Page Plus

told me the phone could not be activated, but not why. I don't understand

what is preventing the phone from being activated.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Not sure why you want a phone that old. Better off getting on with LTE anyway as the CMDA network will be shutting down in less than 2 years.

0 Likes