We are on a Verizon contract and I upgraded to a Droid phone in November
hektor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dislike the Droid intensely and I wish to buy another Windows phone that I can connect to Verizon. Do I have to look for an un locked phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: We are on a Verizon contract and I upgraded to a Droid phone in November
Snn5
Legend

Your Droid may not pass the ESN test if Verizon has it listed as Carrier Financed or some similar description.  Being on Edge, you could sell it, but buyer might not could activate it unless it was paid off.  Unless someone else can say differently, your safest bet is to pay off that Droid after 6 months or whenever you can pay it off in full. Then sell it if you can and take that money to buy a new phone or go back to contract for a subsidized-priced phone.  Being on contract is easier for me because I can buy a good phone at a good price then sell it later to buy something else to use on the line.  With Edge, things are a bit different in that the phone really isn't yours until it's paid off. 

Messages you might see are like this: 

This device is being financed and has an outstanding balance that must be paid or it may not be able to be used

other sites might not list it as the same and list it as clear.  There is definitely a risk in trying to sell this phone based upon conflicting IMEI/ESN checking sites.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You'll need to find a clean Verizon Windows phone.  You can activate one of those in place of the Droid. 

bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

You'll want to go to Microsoft's website and get the Nokia Lumia Icon.  Verizon might have one in their store, but they don't have them online.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

They are out of stock on windowsphone.com Most likely the Icon won't return.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend
Loquat
Master - Level 1

The Icon is going for right about $280 on eBay...just another option to consider...

hektor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I found a phone to buy : HTC 8X 6990L 16gb Verizon CDMA/GSM Unlocked. As far as I can tell this would work like I want to do. I bought a used - refurbished Lumia 822 but it had a defective charge port so I sent it back. Before I realized that, the Verizon store established this as my phone to use. I switched back to the Droid until I located something else.

0 Likes
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

Great choice! The 8x is an awesome phone

hektor
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been a learning lesson for me. At least I learned what CDMA and GSM refer to. What is confusing is the wide price range for these phones on line. The local Verizon store does not promote or carry in stock any Windows phones.

The HTC phone I referenced to should work alright. What I have learned that as long as we pay the current bill to Verizon, they could care less what I do with the Droid phone.

0 Likes
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, pretty much you could light it on fire and they wouldn't care Smiley Happy but you're still in a two year commitment Smiley Sad

0 Likes