Re: Why was group messaging removed by Verizon?
JF74
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've heard conflicting reports that this is and is not disabled on the Lumia phone that Verizon has. If it works on the Lumia phone, well then there is likely some oddity with the HTC 8X that causes a problem. There was a story on Gizmodo or Engadget of messaging issues with the Windows phones on Verizon's network prior to launch and this could have been the solution to avoid delaying the launch date.

A new messaging solution from Verizon would only seem to make sense if Verizon was blocking group messaging on new iPhones, Androids, and other phones they are selling today. Focusing this only on the HTC 8X or Windows Phones would be odd for a new product launch.

0 Likes
JF74
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm curious if anyone has tried using a sim card from one of the other providers and install the Pontico update and also enabled this option disabled by Verizon. That could be away around this.

Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
comrip
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think this response would fit better in a thread about Portico.

However, to your point. I have tried this. I swapped my buddy's T-Mobile HTC 8X SIM in and was able to make calls over T-Mo's network with my VZW phone. When I went to Settings > Phone Update, I wasn't able to trigger an update. I think it's phone—not network—specific.

[image: The Start screen on my VZW HTC 8X using a T-Mo SIM]

VZW Start_T-Mo SIM.jpg

EDIT: Looks like some users have been successful, though: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/922258#922258

0 Likes
CmdrKeene
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do I understand you correctly that the built-in system group messaging will be available with the Portico update?

0 Likes
egarton0425

There shouldn't be a need to find a way around this. This is the most ridiculous change they could make. It was an awesome feature on the W7 phones, so why take it away? I can't even explain how frustrating it is to receive a text out of the blue with a response to another text that I either didn't get or read and forgot about already.

My 822 stopped receiving picture messages for some reason but I can still send them, has anyone else had this happen? I'm considering leaving Verizon if they don't fix this mess.

0 Likes
studboltgkw

I just purchased a Nokia 822 Windows phone.  I found out right away that the Group Texting capability was removed from their MMS capability.  I am within the 14 day window, so I am think about switching . . . I really like the Windows phone 8.0 . . . don't know why Verizon would do this.

0 Likes
erahzy

I agree that a solid explanation is needed for why this feature was removed.  This is a key use case for most modern phones, everyone with an iPhone is group texting.  Everyone with a phone period is group texting.  My fiance's Palm Treo from 2007 supported group texting.  I love my Windows Phone, but this is seriously a deal breaker.  I hope this is going to be resolved VERY soon.  It's a shame that Verizon is willing to sell a product that is not fully functional (fully functional on modern phones means group texting, its just that simple).  If there was an issue with the group texting, perhaps Verizon should have delayed the release date of the phone and not made so many customers unhappy.

0 Likes
JF74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had I really understood this issue within my 14-day return period, I would have returned my phone. I love the WP 8 OS, it is pretty cool, but with a piece missing that I use so often, the device is significantly crippled. I hesitate to blame Verizon fully for this, as I've mentioned in other posts, but it remains a very basic functionality that everyone assumes to be part of any phone purchased. It's like buying a new Lexus in Phoenix, to find out that the the tubes connecting the air conditioner to the vents got held up in the QA process and weren't included, but will be available once summer is over.

Huntley30

Verizon, this is unreal, unacceptable, and completely insane. Please release a statement or something answering the questions of group messaging. I am very upset with your lack of innovation. You have become a giant of the mobile market and have neglected why this company used to be cool. Perhaps it's the 8x, although ATT customers can use the group messaging feature. Completely dissapointed & frustrated. I will be switching back to iPhone after 24 hours having my HTC 8x.

0 Likes
DrummerJDM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have received an update from a Verizon tech who states that there is currently discussion going on about this issue and that it would be addressed in a future software update.  I'm not sure how valid this was as it may be possible that the Verizon rep wanted to get me off the phone but I did talk to level 2 support so I'm hoping there is validity to this statement.  I know it's not the answer we want but it does give us a little ray of hope at seeing this issue resolved.

0 Likes