Will a microSD card allow me to expand my inbox capacity and keep more text messages on the LG Octane?
galaxyowner14

Hi all! I could really use some help here. My mom has had the LG Octane for I think close to seven years now, and as a "basic phone" it has limited space to store text messages. The problem is, at this point, she has nearly an full inbox of messages she considers sentimental and would like to hold onto. It's gotten to the point that receiving new text messages is somewhat stressful to her because she has to choose others to delete!

Is there anyway to expand her inbox's ability to store text messages? I've looked through a number of resources on the topic, and I've come to the understanding that I could transfer her text messages onto the microSD card, and then move them onto another device. But I can't find anything about whether she would still have easy access to her old text messages on her same phone if they were stored onto a microSD card, or whether moving the old text messages onto a microSD card would free up the inbox and give her more space for new messages. Any insight into this would be very much appreciated- being able to keep more text messages would mean a lot to her.  Thank you so much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will a microSD card allow me to expand my inbox capacity and keep more text messages on the LG Octane?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand your concern galaxyowner14 and wish there was a way to make this work for you. The SD card would not be able to house messages at all so that option would not work. The SD cards are designed to hold media only so this is why it can house pictures, videos and music. I do apologize that this solution will not work for you.

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Will a microSD card allow me to expand my inbox capacity and keep more text messages on the LG Octane?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate your question at it relates to the MircoSD card as it relates to the inbox capacity when it comes to text messages, Galaxyowner14. Let me help you with an answer about the concern. The inbox is not directly related to the MircoSD card. The card just provides a way for you to increase storage space up to 16GB. Does your mom use the Verizon Cloud? Can she remove any messages she doesn't need in the in box to free up space?

EdwinW_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
galaxyowner14

EdwinW_VZW,

Thank you so much for replying to my question- I was worried no one would! I understand that the inbox doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the MicroSD card, but I am hoping that I can use the storage space on the MicroSD card to help hold her old messages from the inbox. I guess in other words, I've read that I could use the MicroSD card to store all sorts of things on the phone like pictures, videos, music, ringtones and even contacts, and in the past I've even used MicroSD cards in smartphones to hold pictures and downloads. Is there anyway I can do the same thing with received text messages? Obviously text messages aren't pictures or sounds, but it just seems like something that people might be able to move to a storage card and still be able to view on their phone.

I am pretty confident that she doesn't do anything with the Verizon cloud, is that something that could potentially be a storage option? As for her clearing some more messages out, I definitely think she could trim  it some, but not to a point that it would solve the problem. Again, she has had it for a long time and I think she only has around a 300 message inbox, so I kinda get it-- especially since us kids were away at college during the time period and communicated primarily by text.

Looking forward to talking more!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand your concern galaxyowner14 and wish there was a way to make this work for you. The SD card would not be able to house messages at all so that option would not work. The SD cards are designed to hold media only so this is why it can house pictures, videos and music. I do apologize that this solution will not work for you.

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
galaxyowner14

CandiceH_VZW,

Ahhh I see. I guess those do fall into an overarching media category, and it would make sense that text messages do not. That's a bummer, but I really appreciate having a definite answer- I felt bad giving up on the idea without knowing for sure but now I do! And thank you for your well wishes! Off the top of your head, is there anything else that you think might work as a solution? I'm going to try and look into Verizon cloud in the next couple of days per EdwinW_VZW s suggestion.

Also out of curiosity, is there ever a time text messages can be saved to the SD card for either viewing on a computer or transferring to a new phone? For whatever reason, I was under the impression that was one of the ways to duplicate or transfer them, but now I'm wondering if I'm completely confused/ misinformed.

Thank you again CandiceH_VZW !

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can backup your text messages to your SD card or computer if you have an Android phone which will allow you to easily transfer them from one android phone to another. Food for thought.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes