Wrong Time Stamp on Voice Mail
MRSC68
Enthusiast - Level 2

When someone leaves a message the time stamp is off. The displayed time on the front of my phone is correct. My service address is correct. I've tried calling in and visiting a store and there doesn't seem to be anyone to help. I moved to AZ from CO and my number is still a CO number, but it really doesn't pass the common sense test that my time settings wouldn't adjust to whatever time zone I'm currently in. I recently visited Missouri and the issue still existed. Someone would leave me a voice mail and it would have a Colorado time stamp on it. This is ridiculous and I can't believe that there's not some kind of work-around for this issue. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wrong Time Stamp on Voice Mail
deloused
Master - Level 3

With basic voicemail service the timestamp is set by the server location housing your mesages, in this case Colorado since you have a phone number from that state so it will always be in the mountain time zone. 

You can change your phone number for free if you wish to your new state of residence if you'd prefer to always have a timestamp based on Arizona time instead.

MRSC68
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would prefer to have the timestamp match where I'm physically located.

Whether it's in Arizona or Missouri. It's absurd that if I'm visiting

someone in another state, that I have to make a time adjustment because my

voicemail server can't adjust. That doesn't pass the common sense test.

This wasn't an issue with the old voicemail service. It's only been a

problem since the voicemail server was changed earlier this year. Perhaps

its time to find a new carrier.

MRSC68
Enthusiast - Level 2

But, let me make sure I understand correctly: Even if I'm visiting New York, if someone leaves me a voicemail it's always gonna have the Colorado timestamp? I'm always going to have to figure out my time zone difference based on Colorado time? That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable. Especially considering that this wasn't an issue with the old voicemail service. It shouldn't matter what kind of phone I have, the service should be good across the board. What good will it do for me to get a local number if the problem is going to exist when I go to visit family or friends out of state?

deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, the voicemail will only stamp the time for as soon as a message is left in your box based on the zone for your number in Colorado, regardless of where you are. It's literally a computer hard drive that stores the recording, it's software doesn't access or store your physical location or wait to be able to obtain the location to assign a time.

Definitely choose the number/carrier options you'd most prefer, but in many scenarios this setup is easier for determining exactly how long ago someone left you a voicemail, add 2 hours if  in NY, subtract 1 if in CA. Or turn the auto playing of the time stamp off in your voicemail options if you don't want to hear it with each message. 

If the timestamp was based on the phone location instead it could also cause much confusion when attempting to determine how long ago someone left you a voicemail. For example-

1) If the timestamp was based on your physical location and you're on a 6 hour plane ride from NY to CA & someone leaves you a voicemail halfway into the flight over Nebraska and you listen to the message upon landing in CA timestamp would be 0:00 due to not being able to locate the phone while it was at 30,000 feet. Alternatively, having the Nebraska time stamped on the message wouldn't really help determine how long ago the message was left since the phone wouldn't have been able to notify you of a new message there, and you may have not been aware of your location at that time the message was left as it's hard to determine the time zone at that altitude when much looks the same from the sky. Rather, once in CA with it listing CO time simply subtracting an hour when you hear the timestamp would let you know how long the message had been waiting for you.

2) Or if you were taking a Greyhound from CA back to AZ and didn't realize until after you were home that the phone was left in the seat pocket on the bus. After the bus had continued east to Texas without you but with your phone a caller leaves you a voicemail. You dial into your voicemail from your neighbor's cell phone to check it. If the timestamp listed was based on the phone location in Texas at the time of the message it would be useless in determining how old the voicemail was due to not being with the phone to know where it had been at the time the message was left. With it listing mountain time for your Colorado number it's much easier to determine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a consumer too, and I certainly understand your desire to keep your voicemail synced with your service area local time, MRSC68. You are a valued customer and we don’t want you to even consider a move from our wireless family. Have you updated the billing and service address on your Verizon Wireless account? That would be the first step to ensure that your voicemail matches your service/billing address. Please visit this link for step by step instructions to update your billing and service address: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-change-billing-or-service-address-video/

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MRSC68
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, EVERYTHING has been updated. My service addy, my billing addy, everything. I've talked to tech support on the phone and even physically went into a store for help. There seems to be nobody that can help with this issue, which is very frustrating. This wasn't an issue at all until I was forced to change my voice mail service earlier this year. Who ever is your guys' new voice mail provider is doing your company a great disservice.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I do appreciate everything that you have done MRSC68.I have sent you a private message so we can further assist. AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tinatyler
Enthusiast - Level 1

0 Likes