pictures, videos, and sounds suddenly disappeared
wotpast

I turned off my phone this morning. When I turned it on, some of my sounds (saved in MY SOUNDS) that I use as contact ID ringtones, were missing. I called tech support and was told to try taking the SD card out. I did that. Then I lost all my photos and sounds. There were completely gone. My wallpaper (internal and external) were gone, too. But I still had all my contacts and saved txt messages. When I looked at my contacts, it still had the little thumbnail images I had saved to that contact. My husband checked his phone. As we were looking through his pictures, they all started to disappear. All of his pics, sounds and videos disappeared. He took out his battery and kept his phone shut off for about 20 min. When he turned it back on, all his pics and videos were back. I turned my phone off again. When I turned it back on, my wallpaper was back, but when I go to MY PICS or My SOUNGS, none of my pictures or sounds appear to be there. Just an image with a question mark. I left my phone off with the battery out for over 30 minutes. What is going on? Is some update screwing with our phones? What can I do to fix it?

I have a basic phone, LG Octane with the flip open to full keyboard. My husband has a basic flip phone. Neither of us has internet on our phones. All of the pictures on our phones were taken with our phones and saved that way. We don't use any apps to view pictures. We just go to MY Pictures on the phone. The sounds that disappeared with either recorded with the phone or saved from text messages. The videos were all recorded with the phones.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: pictures, videos, and sounds suddenly disappeared
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wotpast,
Let's look further into this! Are you currently still missing data? That is odd this happened to your phone and your husband's device at the same time. Besides powering the device off/on did anything specific happen prior? Do you have a SD card reader to research if media is still on the card? Please share more details so I may further assist. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wotpast

Pics were set to save to SD card. My husband and I did not do anything similar. I turned off phone and removed sd card (per instructions of tech support). He did not before he had his photos start disappearing. After turning off his phone, his pictures and videos returned. I have tried to turn mine off multiple times without the same success. Although my wallpapers and some contact ID pictures returned (I can't view them in the photo gallery, just when I look at a contact or my wallpaper. Some contact ID's did not return).

Next I tried connecting my phone to my computer to see if the pics could be found that way. I could not find anything when I did that. The folders were empty.

Next I accidentally hit the photo button and saw a message that the memory was full. It directed me to the setting for where pictures, etc. are saved. Through looking at the memory card settings there I can see the list of my photos with all their file names, but I can not view them. My sounds were not there at all. So I tried to transfer my files from memory card to the phone memory. I transferred 6 pictures of the more than 470 I had. On all the others it popped up with a message that said "invalid file name." After the transfer, I was able to view the 6 pictures. I tried again to connect my phone to the PC. I was able to view only the 6 pictures that transferred. I still could not see any of the other pictures.

I have tried deleting a couple of the picture files to presumably clear memory, but it gives me an error and will not let me delete any of them. I tried sending them as a picture message, but none of the files would attach to the message. It says invalid file type. When I view my gallery, it shows the 6 pictures I transferred and images with question marks for all the other photos. I can read all of the file names, of course most of them are just a string of numbers, so I don't know which photo is which. I can not access them. They are there, but I can't see them.

Every time I try to connect my phone to the computer or remove the SD card, when I turn my phone on, the wallpapers are missing again. If I shut off my phone and turn it back on, the wallpaper pictures return.

I have tried to go to the store, but no one there can help me. I have sat on hold on the phone for over 30 minutes with no one answering my call. I tried posting on facebook, but it takes a day to get a reply every time I post an update as to what I have tried. It has never been this hard getting customer service help. I just wish there was someone I could take my phone to, to look at it in person. Or at least an email I could send questions to that would get a faster response than this. I remember being able to get help in the stores, but they don't have anyone there who can help me anymore. This is making what is already a frustrating situation, losing all my photos and the sounds I recorded of my babies singing or talking, even more unbearable and frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am so sorry that you are continuing to have issues with your pictures wotpast. It sounds like there may be an issue with your SD card, that might be causing these images to show up intermittently.

For your next step, I would recommend using a card reader to see if you can see the SD card files on your computer. If you can, you can also move these files to the computer, and format the SD card, which would fix any corruption issues. Be sure the pictures are backed up on your computer before formatting the card, as a format will erase any information on your SD card.

Also, did you know that you can reach out to us for immediate assistance on Twitter by tweeting @VZWSUPPORT? We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
wotpast

I'm not very good at using twitter, so that is not an option for me.

The only thing I have that can read sd cards if my computer, and it can't find anything. It just asks me to format the card. I tried putting the card in the computer both by connecting the phone to the computer and by taking the card out and putting it directly in the computer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for making the effort to have the card read by your computer. If the card is not readable in the computer as well, the problem is with the SD card, and you would need another one. Did this SD card come with your current phone, or did you transfer it from an old device? How long have you owned it?

Thanks!
MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
sbear1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both my husband I have Moto Razr M phones.  Photos have randomly disappeared from both of our phones.  We do not have SD cards.  This has happened as recently as within the past two weeks.  Two calls into Verizon were useless.  Another interesting fact, we can access our Contacts by logging into our accounts, but we cannot even access any media.  The screen just clocks.  We've tried on four computers, so we know that's not the issue.  Two calls to tech support provided no solution.

What is happening here??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello sbear1,

This seems to be a very odd situation that you and your husband is having. How long have you guys been having this kind of issue? Do you guys ever use the Verizon Cloud services? Are you trying to log into your account on My Verizon where you can see the contacts? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sbear1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Situation has occurred in the past month.

Yes we use Cloud. Not all photos were stored. The missing photos are not

there.

We cannot log into myverizon and access media. We get in and can access

contacts. But cannot access media. The screen just clocks. We have tried

on four computers.

I am not interested in downloading the pc app, as we keep our pcs tightly

secure.

I called tech support twice with no resolution.

On Apr 26, 2014 8:37 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sbear1,

I appreciate the details, I know it's important to access your Verizon Cloud. Are you accessing the same profile for both lines? It's important to point out each line needs to have their own My Verizon account. In addition, your Razr will also back up pictures using your gmail account, so it may be a good option to look at your Google account.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes