samsung gusto 2 software update notification ?
Stanton_11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way to disable the automatic Software Update Notification in the Samsung Gusto 2 phone?  This is for a pre-paid phone.  The phone calls out trying to update the software and drains the battery in the process: also, there is no software update for the phone.

I've contacted the pre-paid technical support several times without any resolution.  I've also contacted Samsung technical support without any resolution.  I think there is a solution, it's just not well known.  The pre-paid Verizon technical support recommends updating the software.  The Samsung technical support says there is no software update and guided me to restore the phone settings.  However, neither approach worked and phone still try's to call to update the software and gives a Software Update Notification. 

If the phone could call the update number - and verify the software is updated, that would be one solution.  But, as noted, the phone repeatedly calls and drains the battery when attempting to update the software.  Also, if the software update is disabled, that would be another solution.  But, neither of those options appear available.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: samsung gusto 2 software update notification ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stanton_11,

This was very concerning for me to read. I know it is upsetting to have the battery constantly draining on you. Let's try to get this taken care of for you. i know you mentioned you talked to Samsung Prepaid Technical Support already. I want to re-direct you back to the Pre-Paid department as you have reached the Post Paid department here. Please click http://vz.to/OueRl7
VeronicaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tiruti

My husband's phone has this exact same issue. Have you found a solution?

0 Likes
Stanton_11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted Verizon technical support (for the fourth time), and this time the young lady suggested putting the phone in Airplane Mode.  I did that and the Software Update Notification loop stopped.  I don't know when this will occur again, but Airplane Mode is what I plan on trying again in the future - since it's the only thing that has worked.

0 Likes
Tiruti

You have to notice that the phone is trying to update the software, and put it in airplane mode, correct?  Otherwise the battery drains.

0 Likes
Stanton_11
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct.  Verizon has not described a way to stop the phone from going into a mode to update software or "Software Update Notification" mode - even though there is no software to update.  Putting the phone in Airplane Mode, while it won't prevent a recurrence, will stop the notifications once they begin.

0 Likes
Boat52

My phone started to do this within the past month. I had checked for a software update and I think that is what caused it to occur. It would go on for hours. Today it started to do it again and after a number of attempts to activate Airplane Mode I was able to stop the cycling. Given the age of the phone, I am sure Samsung/Verizon is not interested in solving this problem. Too bad, because the Gusto 2 is a work horse and has performed flawlessly until this issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Boat52, we want to get things back to the way that it use to be on your phone. Have you backed up your device at Backup Assistant? http://vz.to/1shggya  Did you download any applications to your phone?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Stanton_11
Enthusiast - Level 2

This 'problem' went away, but now it has come back.  It's obvious to me that this is issue is 100% a Verizon network issue.  Why Verizon wants me to keep my phone off is a bit of a mystery, but that appears to be the 'solution' to this issue. Otherwise, the phone will go dead due to continually trying to 'update' software that cannot be updated. 

Contacting Verizon support is an exercise in futility.  Perhaps that's because the number of phones is beyond what can be expected for competent support.  Or, there could be other considerations why this issue continues.  All things considered, 'airplane' mode does allow some of the phone functions and I can periodically check to see if anyone has tried to call - which is a suggestion I got from Verizon support (to give them some credit).

0 Likes