transferring upgrade: new policy
jvohland

Last year one of my family members took my upgrade.We have 3 phones on the family plan(2 basic phones, and my smartphone).So then I decide to go into an official Verizon store a year later and use my dads upgrade on his phone(basic phone) to upgrade my smartphone.One of the sales reps there says I can do that but now the changed the policy saying that if I use  my father's upgrade he will now get charged the same as a smart phone.So it will be an extra 10 dollars a month.This doesn't make since.In reality we have 2 basic phones and one smartphone but if I take his upgrade they will charge us as 1 basic and 2 smart phones.It made me mad and I instantly left .Is this the new policy?I'm considering a new carrier.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: transferring upgrade: new policy
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless closed that particular loophole on August 24, 2014. They now require that a line upgraded to a smartphone to be treated as a smartphone for the entire contract period even if you reactivate a basic phone on that line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Never thought about how this new policy affected non-unlimited data accounts. Pretty much cuts down alot of  swapping of upgrades of those on Nationwide plans.

jvohland it would be $30 more per month not $10. Data plans are a minimum $30 a month on Nationwide plans. If you're on a More Everything plan this policy should even apply.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jvohland, there's no need to go anywhere. We want to continue as your wireless carrier. When upgrading on your father's line, this will extend his contract. However, the monthly access fee will not increase if he continues to have a basic phone activated on his line. We apologize for any confusion this matter may have caused you.

For your convenience, you can order your new device and activate that phone on your mobile number online at My Verizon. http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

The monthly access fee may not increase but the new policy does state you have to maintain a data plan on that line for 2 years which on Nationwide is $30 a month.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

One thing about big red always trying to make cash. They spend about 10 billion annually on their network to make you feel better

0 Likes