I need to unlock my phone to use while I'm deployed to Europe for the next two years. What do I need to do to do that?
rsdurdunji
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried going by my local verizon store and getting them to unlock it before I shipped over here, but I was told that it has to be a 5 or newer to be able to be unlocked, and mine is a 4S. Once I got over here, however, several of my friends have unlocked 4s's and they were using verizon as well. I'd really like to be able to use my iPhone while I'm over here instead of this other phone I had to buy that doesn't take good pictures and crashes all the time and is just all around not as good as my iPhone, which is basically just an iPod at this point. How do I go about unlocking it?

P.S. My number is on my parent's account, and has been put on hold or whatever where you pay $15 a month or something to keep the line but can't use it? I don't know if that affects anything or not.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I need to unlock my phone to use while I'm deployed to Europe for the next two years. What do I need to do to do that?
Weth
Legend

Verizon did unlock the 4S recently, which is a 3G only phone. It was done automatically over the air. When was your phone last on the Verizon network?

You may want to try to do an update over iTunes with the European SIM in place, that has worked for some to get the unlock from Apple, which Verizon has released.

Here is notes from an anonymous user on another forum:

The iPhone must be activated by Apple servers with the SIM you want to use installed. If it is active with another carrier before the unlock, you must enter the correct Apple ID and password for that previous activation, whether you activate over WiFi (with later iOS versions) or using iTunes. After the first valid attempt, you may get a message like this: "This iPhone could not be activated because the activation information was not correct. Please try again later." Unplug the iPhone from iTunes and plug it back in, or just re-enter the previous Apple ID and password if you are using WiFi. iTunes will show a splash screen with an Apple logo that reads: "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked." (bold type) Below that: "To set up and sync this iPhone, click Continue."

View solution in original post

Re: I need to unlock my phone to use while I'm deployed to Europe for the next two years. What do I need to do to do that?
Snn5
Legend

The 4S is already unlocked by Verizon.  You just need a local SIM from a local carrier wherever you are.  But, you need to have the phone line active and not on hold to use it.

0 Likes
rsdurdunji
Enthusiast - Level 2

You mean active on the verizon account? And pay both verizon fees as well as the local carrier fees?

I'm completely new to this so you'll have to spell it out for me, I don't mean to seem sarcastic or anything.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, a 4G Verizon phone is by default, unlocked.  So, it is a matter of having the line active (which yours sounds to be suspended with billing) and a SIM card from a local carrier or an international plan with Verizon.  the SIM is what makes the phone work.  Unlocked just means it isn't locked to Verizon's network.

0 Likes
rsdurdunji
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right, but what I'm asking is, if I have an active line (I'm assuming that means paying the regular monthly bill to have a verizon phone?) and I get a SIM card from a local carrier over here (because a Verizon international plan would be way expensive) I'll have to pay the local carrier to activate the SIM card on top of paying Verizon for an active line, right? Or am I just getting this all sorts of mixed up?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, you may be getting a tad confused.  The use of the SIM where you are is to overcome the cost of an International Plan.  You would be at the terms of the local carrier as far as SIM cost and service.

IDK how your budget works out or how your plan compares to a foreign plan.  To be honest, it might be cheaper to get a phone and carrier where you are and just keep the line active so you can keep your number since IDK you can port to a foreign carrier obviously, not with the same number.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Verizon did unlock the 4S recently, which is a 3G only phone. It was done automatically over the air. When was your phone last on the Verizon network?

You may want to try to do an update over iTunes with the European SIM in place, that has worked for some to get the unlock from Apple, which Verizon has released.

Here is notes from an anonymous user on another forum:

The iPhone must be activated by Apple servers with the SIM you want to use installed. If it is active with another carrier before the unlock, you must enter the correct Apple ID and password for that previous activation, whether you activate over WiFi (with later iOS versions) or using iTunes. After the first valid attempt, you may get a message like this: "This iPhone could not be activated because the activation information was not correct. Please try again later." Unplug the iPhone from iTunes and plug it back in, or just re-enter the previous Apple ID and password if you are using WiFi. iTunes will show a splash screen with an Apple logo that reads: "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked." (bold type) Below that: "To set up and sync this iPhone, click Continue."

Snn5
Legend

Ugh, I truly thought the 4 was 3G and the 4S was 4G.

0 Likes
rsdurdunji
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, awesome, I'll try that. Thank you!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is faux 4G (HSPA+) on GSM, so you are still correct, just not LTE 4G.