my daughter said her phone has a virus and quit working that it was happening to alot of kids at school?? whats going on?
Churchbkck

My daughters Iphone quit working she said there is a virus going around the High School and it happening to a lot of the kids phones??

What is going on? I didn't know your phone could get a virus

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: my daughter said her phone has a virus and quit working that it was happening to alot of kids at school?? whats going on?
Snn5
Legend

IT is real, and not really a virus, but a bug in Apple programming.

The program can't compute the string of characters, so it crashes.  In most cases, deleting the text and rebooting the phone is all that is needed, without loss of content.  A few people report doing a factory reset, so duh, your content was erased...

Credits to

mama23dogs

A tiny string of text can disable iPhone Messages

And this one post #11.

Preview of the new Note 5....

Re: my daughter said her phone has a virus and quit working that it was happening to alot of kids at school?? whats going on?
mama23dogs
Legend

Thanks for the credit, I hate to be responsible for bad news, don't kill the messenger.

The bug is a minor fluke in Apples programming. It only temporarily crashes the phone.  If she has been sent this text, the worst it will do is crash the phone and prevent it from turning on without crashing again.

TO remove the offending text completely:

Use iCloud to wipe the phone, then restore from a backup.   Some claim it can only activate with iMessage, not SMS, but that seems to be false.

mama23dogs
Legend

Snn5 linked a discussion we had on the subject.  If you read on to number 14, I added the brilliance of the Huffington post to be so thorough as to post the code in their article (expletive implied). 

In the Spirit of B.C. Comic strip, "...may a camel with colic cough massive amounts of spit on the authors head and face."

Snn5
Legend

The Huff N Puff is not the most responsible source, even if it is the most informative.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Churchbkck, that's a mystery to us too! Which model phone does your daughter have? What issues is she having on that phone?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes