iPhone 5 won't hold Date & Time "set automatically."
JFAinLA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Date & Time, when "set automatically," arbitrarily resets itself to a date and time in August.

Setting Date & Time manually works fine.

There is a thread on this glitch on the Apple Forums. It's happening in all time zones.

Apple says it's a Verizon issue.

Verizon claims it's an Apple software problem.

Anyone got a definitive answer for this?

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 5 won't hold Date & Time "set automatically."
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I really don't know what to say about this...I have yet to have the issue occur....I have used my alarms twice a day every day and they haven't ended up going off too late or too early (or not at all) due to the date and time changing on it's on although I see the other comments about it so far. You stated that for you it works fine when set to manual then for now at least, that might be what needs to be done. If I'm not mistaken, it seemed like those that were posting the issue seemed to be in the same areas (I may be wrong). If that is the case then I would think it's a network issue and not an Apple software problem. It would seem like if it were a software issue then it would happen across the board for us all. Hopefully something can be done to address this for those that are experiencing it. I'll ask around and see if anyone else has any idea what the problem could be or if anyone else I know is experiencing it.

0 Likes
Venghous1

I am having this very same issue.... it is driving me nuts!!   im not sure if has anything to do with it.. but for example,, i had my 5 on the charger all night.. checked the time thru out the night,, worked fine.. alarm went off on time at 7 am, when i unplugged it, it got a message that said imessage failed because date and time were not set.. looked at my phone and it said it was 5:29 pm yesterday,, turning off auto and back on again wont fix it.. went to manual..

im in indiana on eastern time

0 Likes
jayR02
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a thread going on in apple forum about this issue. Seems like its a Verizon problem because its only happening to verizon customers. I made a YouTube video of the problem. Search  iPhone 5 date and time issue. Where are the tech support to fix this issue. Some people have done a Hard reset but still having the same problems. I just recently went to settings, general, reset, reset Network. I will let you know if this solved the issue. Btw I also did manual D&T and that didn't work. Plus if you put it to manual some apps require to have your D&T on automatic. Lets find a resolution.

Maui Hawaii iPhone 5

JFAinLA
Enthusiast - Level 1

The "carrier update" I received yesterday DID NOT solve the time-shifting problem.

Over on the Apple Support Forums there is a long list of people with this exact same issue.

So far, no recommended remedies (rebooting, complete restore, new SIM card, etc.) have helped.

I'm no engineer, but this seems like a pretty basic problem to identify and fix.

Come on, Verizon...I'm a newly converted former AT&T customer hoping your customer service will come through...or at least acknowledge that you're trying to fix things.

Thanks.

0 Likes
jayR02
Enthusiast - Level 2

So it happened again today while I was at work. Notice the time was 3 hours ahead. I had a feeling it might be a LTE problem so I went to settings, general, cellular, enable LTE off the turn back on. I notice that Verizon Signal was searching then fixed my time. I have only tried this once and it worked. It won't resolved the issue just fixes the time back to normal until it does it again. Everyone try this out and write a post if it works. That way Verizon or Apple can fix this soon.

0 Likes
AlanJ79

My phone as well as my wife's phone have been doing the same thing now since we got them.  The only way I've been able to fix it as to go in as you mentioned and turn off my cellular settings and then back on again.  It will reset the time but only until it happens again.  I notice it everytime I leave Wifi and go into cellular signal.  I haven't paid attention enough to see if it switches between 3G and LTE but I guess it doesn't matter.  This is a pain in the butt to reset everytime and has already caused some headaches.  Hopefully Verizon figures this out soon as it sounds like it's their problem and not Apples.

0 Likes
AaronJ

My wife and I are both having this problem.  I was told to reset my network settings by Verizon, so I did that.  But before the day was over my time had randomly adjusted itself again.  I don't seem to have the problem in the morning ... thankfully, because that would affect my alarm clock.  🙂

I have had the time shift twice in one day.  I was rebooting the phone each time, but have decided to make the time setting manual until Verizon figures it out.  The update to 13.1 did not fix the issue.

I am on EST / New York time.

0 Likes
sky808

My wife and I have the same problem since the day one.  When our phones loose the date and time, time is always 3.5hrs ahead and date is 19 days behind.  Last night went to Apple Store and they replaced my phone (my third trip for the same problem) but encounter the same problem when I got home.  While I was at the Apple Store, another lady (Verizon Wireless customer) came in with the same problem and they had already replaced her phone.  Tech replaced her sim card as next option.  Anyone had their sim card replaced and still having the same problem?

0 Likes
Rockyrikoko

This is the same info I posted in the Apple forum about my attempts to resolve this issue so far...

So this is what I have tried...

Turn off Auto Time and set time manually.... Fail

Reset All Settings (under General menu).... Fail

Leave disconnected from Wi-Fi.... Fail

Restore software and set up from back up.... Fail

Restore and set up as new phone... Fail

Replace phone at Apple Store... Fail

Replace sim card at Verizon store.... Fail

Restore firmware using a fresh downloaded file... Fail

Restore firmware and set up from scratch with a new iTunes account without downloading any apps, contacts or anything.... Fail

I have verified the date/time settings on my 2 month old MacBook Pro I use to sync phones

I have verified the date/time settings on my Linksys router (not that that matters because the time changes when its not connected to the router)

All of the above has been done on both a white and a black 16gig iPhone 5 on Verizon...

The date/time for both is always behind 14 days 18 hours 48 minutes and 19 seconds so that tells me it is keeping time with something... Lets collectively compile all this info so we can get to the bottom of this problem and get it worked out quickly

0 Likes