Factory Unlocked but Overseas Locked.
leitao

Just bought me an factory unlocked Iphone but for my surprise its locked to use with overseas carriers (I need to use it with a Brazilian SIM). How can I unlock it?

The phone has no useful for me now.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Factory Unlocked but Overseas Locked.
Weth
Legend

Found this info, may explain.  Indicates it is an Apple problem. Entire thread here: Carrier - Verizon iPhone 6 / 6 Plus - Some Locked against International Use | MacRumors Forums

"Sim Not Valid'' International Solution

This problem is still going on and relatively unknown until people experience it. It appears to be an issue with iPhone 6/6s models that were offered as "Service Replacement" phones by Apple and assigned an "incorrect policy" from Apple's servers. (See below.) The error occurs when the Apple Server tries to validate the iPhone's IMEI number, there is a lack of synchronization between the databases of Verizon Wireless and Apple servers.

The phones will work with U.S. domestic carriers but not with international SIMs when the user receives a "SIM Not Valid" alert.

If the Apple Customer Support person you talk to is uninformed of this issue, tell them the phone is not locked according to FCC guidelines and there is no pending contract with any US carrier. What needs to be done is to escalate the case to a Level 2 Support Technician or a Senior Level Advisor who will agree to forward a request to Apple's engineers who can fix it from their side. This is the only way to fix it by getting the "activation policy" corrected by Apple engineers. Email your Apple Customer Care Representative a direct link to this post and it will help you as it has helped others to solve this issue for you. (I believe many posts in this thread incorrectly refer to an Apple Customer Support Representative as an Apple Engineer. You will not get to talk to an Apple Engineer, you must go through Apple Customer Support.)

When properly identified, Apple will tell you that you have "a replacement device with an incorrect activation policy" (which takes 30 minutes to 24 hours for engineers to correct). Sometimes the iPhone needs to be restored after Apple makes the change to the activation policy for the phone, before it will work with an international sim.

Most people who have run into this issue get stuck in a loop where Apple tells them their iPhone is locked to AT&T or Verizon. (Yes, we all know Verizon can not legally lock phones.) AT&T or Verizon will accurately say the phone is not locked to their servers. The result is a frustrated phone owner. Unfortunately many find out only when they get overseas.

The SIM Free iPhone "appears" to be locked "internationally" when in reality it is an Apple server setting that essentially acts like an international lock. It can require quite a bit of patience to be nice and persistent with Apple Customer Care Service, and repeated calls/visits to find someone who is open to the idea, since it is an obscure problem relative to the number of total Apple customers, but a large problem for those in need of international phone use. "Service Replacement" iPhone 6/6s iPhones appear to be identified by model numbers starting with an "N".

Should someone plan to use the phone internationally, or want to get more value upon resale, it would be wise for anyone who has received a replacement SIM Free iPhone 6/6s to check their phone. This information is also good for future buyers of iPhone 6/6s who wish to use the phone internationally. There have already been cases where honest owners have sold their phone, not knowing it would not work overseas when the buyer has expectations of it working globally. Neither party is typically at fault, since the SIM Free 6/6s iPhones are promoted as/and are unlocked to begin with.

When contacting Apple Support, it is strongly recommended to provide the AppleCare+ work order created during the "replacement" and the "order number". This will ensure that the "replacement phone" has the same "policy" as the original phone to ensure that all International SIM's will work. Receipts from your original phone prior to the replacement might help also.

The policy for the phone to work domestically and internationally should read:

US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 = Fully Factory Unlocked for U.S. + Worldwide Use

As opposed to something like:

US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy = Unlocked Domestically / Locked Internationally

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Leitao,

Using a phone when you need it the most is important. All the 4g phones that are manufactured to work on the Verizon network are global ready.  Since the phones are made to use on our network we cannot guarantee that phones will work when a sim from another carrier is used.  If you're having trouble using the phone you would have to contact the Brazilian carrier.

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Verizon iPhones since the iPhone 5 are always sold fully unlocked. What kind of error are you getting? Was this a brand new unlocked phone, or used?

0 Likes
leitao

Its a used phone Clean ESN, not financed. Model A1688.

Everytime I put my Brazilian SIM in the phone, this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

My friend has a Unlocked at&t Iphone 6s and my SIM works perfectly fine. My old Iphone 6 that I bought Unlocked directly at an Apple Store here in the US aswell, worked fine too.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

That is a SIM lock that Verizon does not put on. Could it have been used on another provider, even in a different country that locked it down? How do you know it is Verizon - I don't see that anywhere in the error message and this phone model is sold on other providers - Tmobile and Sprint and Boost in the US.

I would, through iTunes, restore the phone as new and see if that works.

0 Likes
leitao

Good point! I'm not 100% sure it is Verizon. What can I do to be?

I already restored it through iTunes a thousand times and still not working.

0 Likes
leitao

I don't believe the problem is with my Brazilian carrier since its works perfect with my friend's unlocked at&t Iphone and and with my old Iphone 6 that I bought Unlocked directly at an Apple Store here in the US worked fine too.

Every time I connect my phone to itunes this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

On the phone, go to Settings/General/About - What does it say in the Carrier Setting - usually that is the carrier that the phone was last used on and is locked to that carrier.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Leitao,

Let's get your phone ringing.  Since the phone is not activated on the Verizon network you would have to reach out to Apple support for further assistance.  Apple support can be contacted here at http://apple.co/23bSguh.

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
leitao

Just talked to them! Please see what they said:

Thanks for contacting AppleCare chat support. [Removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes