texts sent to family member appear as little square
Drumjazz

When I send texts that contain contractions - "I'm", "I'll", etc - to my wife, they appear as a series of little squares in the message proper, with no legible letters. The preview shows a few words of the text but when you open it you see the squares. I don't know a lot about how or what text languages are used or to adjust/fix this, but there is some kind of translation problem. I am sending from an iPhone 6 running system 11.0.3. My wife has and older LG Cosmos (talk & text only). Thanks for any advice (besides, "don't use contractions!" lol)! P.S. I hope I am a first time poster and hope I am posting in the right forum.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: texts sent to family member appear as little square
yarelim_vzw
Verizon Employee

Welcome to the Community Drumjazz​!  What you are currently experiencing on your iPhone is a minor glitch  that has been corrected with a new iOS update.  In order to get this fixed the glitch, you will need to update your iOS to the 11.1.1. 

Click on the link for steps on how to  IUpdate the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

yarelim_vzw

0 Likes
Drumjazz

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however the squares are appearing on my wife's LG Cosmos (not my iPhone) from texts I have sent her from my iPhone, which I updated as you suggested. It did not correct the issue. I hope my question is clear. Thanks.

John

0 Likes
yarelim_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for clarifying Drumjazz​. Let's keep digging to figure out what has happened. Does this happen on all her text messages? 

0 Likes
Drumjazz

It happens every time when I use common English contractions, like “I’ll” for “I will”, or “I’m” for “I am”. It also happens with possessive words where I might use an apostrophe, like: “where is the dog’s ball?”

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Drumjazz, thanks so much for sharing these additional details. May we ask if your wife's phone experiences the same issue whenever anyone else sends her a text message with an apostrophe? Can you also tell us when this issue originally started?

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Drumjazz

Rebecca doesn’t text a lot, just with me mostly. I just sent her this text from my iPhone, “I’m sending a text” and it was all squares when she received it. I then sent a text from my laptop to her via vtext, [removed] Same message, and she was able to read it fine.

We think this has been going on more than a month and maybe two. Not really sure.

Maybe it is related to my iPhone, like the text languages are not compatible?

Thanks.

Personal Content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your efforts are greatly appreciated, let's get to the bottom this once and for all. I will be sending you a Private Message momentarily.

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nesslowe

I am having the same issue, and I would love to know how this was resolved. when i send my son text messages to his lg cosmos phone from my iphone and i write "i'm" or similar the whole text shows up to him as little boxes.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to be sure the messaging on your son's phone is working the way it should nesslowe. We are happy to help. When did this issue begin? Are you able to confirm if this happens with texts your son receives from others or is this only happening when you text him?

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes