Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,134 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Is this spyware or malware? galaxy S8
ABXYNS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I received a refurbished phone from asurion  when I was setting it up I entered my google account on my galaxy S8 and made it to the home screen I went in  messages in Verizon message + and there was a text sent to a phone number that was not familiar to me. I googled the number and it was a Canadian ISP . I live in the U.S. 

the body of the text was the following:

SMATMOTN 0177d7d0423b4140466d8b75c3b35b86f27e920f4254dccb9fd5cb16e2e182

I talked to asurion and they stated there is no way malware or spyware can be on phone because they reinstall software on refurbished phones.

I talked to two people at Verizon one said nothing to worry about the other said it was spyware and to do a factory reset.

I did factory reset when this happened but I do not trust it because from what i read a factory reset does not solve malware.

This happened yesterday then this morning while  was sleeping I got a email from amazon stating someone was trying to login to my amazon account.

Does anyone know what this text that sent from my phone can be? I did not install anything it was right after I turned on and set up. I read a forum stating it could be related to Samsung health friend challenge but I do not use and I could not replicate by installing Samsung health it did not send a text message. I never had any previous issues like this my phone never sent a text prior to this one and I had the same google account.

What should I do to gain trust with my phone after this other than factory reset?

Thank you

Who I have the same questioned this topic