Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,706 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Can I use an Android phone without a data plan?
BrendanM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please read all of this before responding. You will not be helping when you show a clear misunderstanding of my question.

I do not need a data plan. Everywhere I go has Wi-Fi, and I am perfectly content to not have internet connectivity in the event that I don't have Wi-Fi. What I want to know is if I can buy a phone from a store (not from Verizon or a contract renewal) and replace my current phone with it without needing a data plan. There is NO software/hardware reason why I couldn't, and the only reason I would need to is as a Verizon requirement.

As an additional question, if Verizon doesn't allow it, is there any workaround?

I want an android phone not to have ubiquitous connection to social media. I want an android phone to have platform to run software on in addition to making/receiving calls and text messages. I would not utilize a data plan and it would be a waste of money.

Additional info: 

Can I use an Android phone that I buy from a retailer on my Verizon plan without adding data? There's no hardware or software reason why I need a data plan, and there IS a point to having a smart phone without a data plan: Wi-Fi. I don't need to have redundant internet access.  The only reason conceivable for why I'd need a data plan is because Verizon wants more money for no additional service (I wouldn't USE connectivity provided by a data plan). I don't want to have a mobile platform for running software and a phone filling my pockets, I'd like it to be in one. All the connectivity I need is for calls and text messaging.

<< Comments edited to comply with >>

Specifically:

Users of the Verizon Wireless Community agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content:

• Posts that describe how to violate any Verizon Wireless or Verizon Wireless policy or term or condition are considered unacceptable will have the offensive language deleted.
  • Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic