Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue. Samsung brightside
JAMCHU4

Any help appreciated

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue.  Samsung brightside
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the messages coming from iPhones or the other smartphones?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue. Samsung brightside
derekr_vzw
Verizon Employee

JAMCHU4,

We want to make sure your messages are coming through correctly. Let's work together to get to the bottom of this. When did this issues start? Does it happen with all messages or just certain contacts?

DerekR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupprt

0 Likes
Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue. Samsung brightside
JAMCHU4

It started about a month ago. It's progressed to where my husband can only

receive about 50% of his text messages. It makes no difference whether it

comes from an Android or Iphone. It does seem to stem from the use of an

apostrophe (in a contraction, can't for example). In those cases he

doesn't get anything past the apostrophe. Thanks for your help.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM, derekr_vzw <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
JAMCHU4

So it seems apostrophe's cause the issue.

For example, he had a friend send the following text messages:

1. I can't believe it's cold. He received exactly the following: I can.t

beli

2. this weekend is too cold, I don't want to go outside. He got exactly:

this week is too cold,

Some contractions cause all symbols to appear in the text. This is coming

from both android and iphones.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM, derekr_vzw <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Hey - this phone has a real keyboard. Sweet.

OK, this isn't an Android based phone, so I'm a little out of my element. Did your husband's phone receive any form of software update recently? If so, maybe he might save important content on the device, and then perform a reset?

Master Reset - Samsung Brightside | Verizon Wireless

My thinking is that might work, since the behavior is the samre regardless if it is a message coming from Android or iPhone.

If that sems too drastic, maybe there is a language setting on the device? Try toggling it between some other language than English, and back to English.

Your manual is here:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/sam_brightside/sam_brightside_manual.pdf

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the helpful information, JAMCHU4. We definitely want to make sure your husband can receive all text messages. I did check your device for known issues and did not find any at this time for messages. Have you noticed if this is happening with only smartphones? Are you having any trouble when sending and receiving messages with a basic phone?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NAmabile
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can confirm this also happens on my basic phone.  Very little or nothing at all appears in the text string after the apostrophe.  I have to tell them to reword it or send it again without apostrophes.  Makes for a very odd conversation.

0 Likes
Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue.  Samsung brightside
stef7
Master - Level 2

Very interesting observation,

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Texting is the way we all communicate, so let's make sure yours are working as they should be. What is the make and model of your phone? Is this happening with all the contacts that send text messages, or only certain ones?

RosanneM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes