BlackBerry Curve 8330- GPS?
sperri40

Sorry if this has been posted previously, but I cannot find a thread addressing the BlackBerry Curve 8330 and GPS capability. I have downloaded InstaMapper, however I cannot get it to work. My phone seems to search for a satellite, but times out.

Can this phone allow GPS capability for directions and stuff?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BlackBerry Curve 8330- GPS?
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

First make sure you are using the 4.5 OS and not 4.3. If you are using 4.5 then you must turn on your GPS by going to OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>GPS>GPS SERVICES>LOCATION ON.

The Curves GPS is only unlocked for BB maps and is locked for third party apps. If you use it on google maps for instance it will only do tower triangulation and wont do turn based navigation.

The TOUR and Storm both have autonomous GPS which can be used on third party apps.

So if you want to use GPS on your curve turn it on and use blackberry maps. It works great I used it all the time when I traveled.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

sperri40 wrote:

Sorry if this has been posted previously, but I cannot find a thread addressing the BlackBerry Curve 8330 and GPS capability. I have downloaded InstaMapper, however I cannot get it to work. My phone seems to search for a satellite, but times out.

Can this phone allow GPS capability for directions and stuff?

Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe the GPS in the 8330 is only enabled for VZ Nav.  Only the Storm and phones proceeding it have unlocked GPS. 

If a member answers your question, solves an issue, and/or helps you in any way that becomes beneficial....by all means hook em up with some Kudos!! Or mark the thread solved and give Kudos!!

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

First make sure you are using the 4.5 OS and not 4.3. If you are using 4.5 then you must turn on your GPS by going to OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>GPS>GPS SERVICES>LOCATION ON.

The Curves GPS is only unlocked for BB maps and is locked for third party apps. If you use it on google maps for instance it will only do tower triangulation and wont do turn based navigation.

The TOUR and Storm both have autonomous GPS which can be used on third party apps.

So if you want to use GPS on your curve turn it on and use blackberry maps. It works great I used it all the time when I traveled.

0 Likes
sperri40

Thanks for the responses, guys.

0 Likes
ddmoon
Can someone tell me why VZW has blocked 3rd party apps for the Curve.  I was told in the store that it would run them, just to find out that it doesn't.  From what i understand the GPS is unlocked for the Storm and Tour, is this right?  If it is then VZW should be ashamed of themselves.  {keep it courteous}  What a rip-off. 
Message Edited by WendyM on 08-25-2009 06:50 PM
0 Likes
incredulous

I agree that not enabling gps on the 8330 phone is ridiculous.  Worse yet, to charge a bunch of money to gain access.  There are ways to track security that do not need to be expensive.  RIM uses code signing keys to track all cell network access, so any malicious intent can be tracked back to the developer responsible.  There is not reason, other than greed, to block access on Verizon.  I am hoping that Verizon comes up with a more acceptable approach than there current policy, as so many applications are now location aware.  It is sad if Curve users are denied use of these apps.

ddmoon wrote:
Can someone tell me why VZW has blocked 3rd party apps for the Curve.  I was told in the store that it would run them, just to find out that it doesn't.  From what i understand the GPS is unlocked for the Storm and Tour, is this right?  If it is then VZW should be ashamed of themselves.  {keep it courteous}  What a rip-off. 
Message Edited by WendyM on 08-25-2009 06:50 PM

0 Likes
ddmoon

Thanks Justin,  You're right, the mapping functions are fine.  There are a couple of golf range finder programs that work very well with other carriers.  I was told that the only provider that doesn't allow their app to run on the curve is VZW.  I've also heard from other customers that have tried to download general locator GPS programs without any luck as well.  Thanks again for your response.

0 Likes
BillDrew

Can someone from Verizon please tell us why it is unlocked only for BBerry Maps?  No one is answering this one directly.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

BillDrew wrote:

Can someone from Verizon please tell us why it is unlocked only for BBerry Maps?  No one is answering this one directly.

Hey, Bill,

I don't think you will ever get a Verizon rep to answer that question in the forums.  The only answer that I was able to find out from other forums was that it was considered a "security risk" for Verizon to allow GPS on 3rd Party apps.  I am not sure about that, but I am just curious, if it is a security risk, why do they allow GPS on 3rd party apps on the Storm and Tour?  I know that all of the devices with 4.6 and later OS have stand alone and assisted GPS functions.  Just my thoughts and opinioins here.

Doc

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

StreetDocRN wrote:

BillDrew wrote:

Hey, Bill,

I don't think you will ever get a Verizon rep to answer that question in the forums.  The only answer that I was able to find out from other forums was that it was considered a "security risk" for Verizon to allow GPS on 3rd Party apps.  I am not sure about that, but I am just curious, if it is a security risk, why do they allow GPS on 3rd party apps on the Storm and Tour?  I know that all of the devices with 4.6 and later OS have stand alone and assisted GPS functions.  Just my thoughts and opinioins here.

Doc

I may be wrong.  (I know...can't believe it myself).  The Curve 8520 uses 4.6 software and does not have GPS functions.  I know someone would have corrected me on that.

Doc

0 Likes