Blackberry Curve 8330 locked up
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't had any major issues with the phone until yesterday. While set on vibrate, I received a text, then every button stopped working. I tried to reset it by removing the battery and also using alt, control, delete like stated in the manual for the phone. Obviously C A D didn't work but neither did removing the battery. I have removed the battery atleast 15x during the course of the evening. I'm persistent, LOL, really just need to be able to use my phone. Once reinserting the battery, the main screen will come on and the roller ball will scroll over the icons but it will not select an icon. Once the screen goes black nothing will make it come back on. What could be wrong? How can I fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry Curve 8330 locked up
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is the original carrier of the phone.... But great news. I did get it fixed. Since I didn't have a warranty on the phone, I had nothing to lose. So I disassembled the phone by the recommendations I found at the Blackberry website forum. A big thank you to Doc who recommended the site. :smileyvery-happy: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve-BlackBerry-8300/Curve-8330-keyboard-not-work... This is the site that I found many suggestions on what could be causing the problem. I completely wiped out my phone, reloaded the programming, still didn't solve the problem. Everything I read kept pointing to the moisture problems the curve 8330 has. Which in turn will cause the copper disks under the membrane to simulate a button hold. This is what I did..... (copied and updated from another user post)

Removed and put the battery back in about 20+ times - no change.

I took the battery out overnight 18 hours or so- no change

Removed the battery then the memory card - no change

I then took out the 5 piece torx driver set and proceeded to dismantle the phone, you will need a #5 and #6 Torx

(There are some videos on youtube to help with the order of operations)

Once disassembled there is a white membrane covering the electronics for the keyboard. 

Carefully with rubbing alcohol:

I first took a cuetip and cleaned the whole top of the white membrane (while you are there you might as well). It may or may not help anything. 

Then I carefully peeled  the white keyboard membrane up (from the bottom) revealing the copper disks (big one on the motherboard for each key and a smaller one attached to the membrane)

My guess is that when these disks make contact (membrane to board) it registers a keystroke.

I did not fully remove the membrane, I just peeled it up to when I could see the trackball disk (top button row).

Using more cuetips carefully cleaned every single copper disk (big and small) I went through about 5 cuetips by the time I was done, they were turning black after a few disks. Be careful not to swipe it all over the white membrane.  It has an adhesive that makes it stick back on the board. Two of the discs were pretty funky.

I let the phone air dry for a few minutes and put it back together.  FIred it up and it works like new again.

Those two buttons, I guess was simulating a button hold.

Hope this helps some folks as this post did for me after I tried everything else.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last minute thoughts :smileyhappy: , my phone will still receive text, email, and calls.... None of the buttons work to reply or answer. Thank you for any thoughts that might help resolve this for me.

0 Likes
mrsmills0913

Weird, my phone is doing the exact same thing and it just happened last night!  I have only had the phone for a few months and have taken really good care of it!  I am heading to Verizon store shortly...let you know what they say.  Good luck!

0 Likes
gvbdad

jimmyjam wrote:

Last minute thoughts :smileyhappy: , my phone will still receive text, email, and calls.... None of the buttons work to reply or answer. Thank you for any thoughts that might help resolve this for me.

Do you have the blackberry backed up on desktop manager?

0 Likes
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do have my BB backed up on my desktop manager, I also uninstalled my game apps, not had any problems after installing them months ago, but just to see if it would help. It didn't. Not even after removing the battery, again. Getting very frustrated. Missed calls and texts are piling up.

0 Likes
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have taken very great care of mine as well. Bought a Body Glove for it to keep it cosmetically safe as well. Maybe it is just tired of being pampered, LOL. Let me know what you find out about yours please.

0 Likes
gvbdad

Since you have it backed up,  try wiping the device...  go to options / security options / general settings / menu key / wipe handheld /  you can then check 3rd party apps if you want to (I would) / click continue and enter "blackberry " to confirm.

then restore all data to device and see if that helps.  I think you may have to reactivate as well (*228 opt 1) and then options / advanced options / host routing table / menu key / register now

0 Likes
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

gvbdad : I'm guessing that I would have to be able to use the buttons on my phone for your suggestion to work? I can plug it into my computer and start the desktop manager, but I am not sure how to wipe out my handheld from there. I have also cleaned my roller ball hoping that would help, still no success. I also guess there is no way to check my text messages from my computer either is there? Thank you in advance for you're help.

0 Likes
gvbdad

jimmyjam wrote:

gvbdad : I'm guessing that I would have to be able to use the buttons on my phone for your suggestion to work? I can plug it into my computer and start the desktop manager, but I am not sure how to wipe out my handheld from there. I have also cleaned my roller ball hoping that would help, still no success. I also guess there is no way to check my text messages from my computer either is there? Thank you in advance for you're help.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I advised of that option.  With out the use of trackball I'm not sure there is much to be done at this point.   try going to this forum and asking questions about this issue. There are many knowledgable contributors on this site.  If any one could figure it out you will find it here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Curve-BlackBerry-8300/bd-p/8300

0 Likes
jimmyjam
Enthusiast - Level 3

gvbdad and mrsmills0913 : Thank you for 1st of all for even replying to my post, nice to know there are still some nice people willing to help others. 2nd: gvbdad, i will deffiantly check out that site in a second. I will keep you posted. Hope they can figure it out or if someone else might have a suggestion, I'd be willing to try. I have never been mean to my phone, but really want to be at the moment, LOL.

0 Likes