Blackberry Curve 8530 - Update Problems - Now no BBM - "Uncaught Exception"???????????
bamawife

Had tons of issues after doing update earlier this week.  Have just about everything resolved (finally), but now my BBM won't even turn on.  I'm getting "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, battery pull, etc.  Keep getting the same message, but only for BBM.

Um, yeah....help.....please.  I'm  dying without BBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve 8530 - Update Problems - Now no BBM - "Uncaught Exception"???????????
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Blackberry Messenger.  Try to resend your service books.  Go to Email Settings, press the Menu key and select service books.  Then select resend service books.  After that, while your device is powered on, pull the battery out for about 1 minute and then put it back.  After your device reboots, see if Messenger works.  Let us know here in the forums.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve 8530 - Update Problems - Now no BBM - "Uncaught Exception"???????????
bamawife

Nope.  Didn't work.  As soon as phone rebooted I got the same "uncaught exception" message.  It doesn't seem to be making a difference for anything else though.  I'm really starting to think I won't be running any more wireless updates.  :smileymad:

Thanks so much for trying Doc!!!!

Any other ideas out there?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You did an update via wireless.  I would try to go back and try to restore the app via your desktop computer with Blackberry Dekstop Manager.  That should take care of the problem.  Many times, the wireless update gets corrupted as file downloads get interrupted.

Doc

0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

Try removing the Blackberry Messenger tool, and reloading the Blackberry Messenger tool. 

0 Likes
Dmyers

I have had similar problems with the update from Verizon on my BB 8530.  Last month I received an alert to update platform from 5.0.0.866 to 5.0.0.9??.  (cannot remember exact upgrade) I went through the update process and then had numerous issue with syncing my contacts with MS outlook 2007. It deleted on my contacts on my BB.  I Spent 2 hours with Verizon and they transfer me to Blackberry where I spend an additional 3 hours on the phone.  Finally 5 hours later they had to downgrade me to the prior version.  This downgrade at least got me back to where I could sync and I was able to get my contacts to reload from Outlook.

I just received an email from Verizon letting me I need to upgrade my platform.  I am nervous to go through the update.  I don't have time to spend an another 5 hours to fix a bad update.  Has any one else had this problem and do they know if this new update is stable?

0 Likes
BB8530

I have been having the same issue and tried several fixes and none have worked so far.  I cannot restore, it wiped out my address book, etc.  

0 Likes
jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same issues I see posted here after the most recently Verizon forced wireless update except with my address book on a Storm 2.  I kept getting the icon to update, and I kept telling it not to update and not allowing the phone to schedule an update.  Then, one morning I wake up and my phone had updated! 

I am a property manager for condominiums and HOA's.  My phone, it's contacts and calendar from Outlook are my lifeline.  All of my vendors, all of the Association's members, Board members, emergency contact info etc, are stored on my phone and laptop. After this forced wonderfull update, I cannot see any other contacts other than 1 787 times, I am receiving the uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerexception" error option upon boot. If I do a search in the address book, it will find some of the contacts, but others are missing.  The only contact which is displayed in the contacts default view is the same one contact. I checked filters, I tried changing the sorting, etc.

Of course this new update forced itself upon my phone the same morning during which at 5:00AM a major pipe burst in one of my Associations and crippled me for the next two days!  So during the first emergency call I spent about 20 minutes allowing access to all my applications without being able to make a single call and receiving all kinds of errors. 

I just now am having a chance to work on the issue, and I call Verizon Wireless, enter my phone number and keep receiving the error that I must enter a 10 digit number 10 times. I finally get through to someone using my cell phone (which you are supposed to use a landline when calling if you need help with your phone), and they patch me through a line that says regular business hours are X to Z,  11:00PM being not during those times. So then I try the emergency support option, and get patched through to the same recording!!!!  What exactly is emergency support?

So I am forced to support myself ....again.  I tried forcing an update to the address book and it simply won't sync. I double-checked the option to sync the address book and it was set to sync. I read to update the desktop manager through a clean install, so I did.  When I try to configure the address book serviceDesktop Manager 6 shows "address book not installed".  3 hours into this whole thing I believe I have found the answer which leads back to the original error I keep receiving...uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerexception. 

The only thing that worked for me was rolling the blackberry back, restoring the apps and data, and then forcing the information from Outlook back onto my Storm.

Verizon...don't force updates upon your customers!!!!!  Not all of us have the time to spend several hours to resolve these matters!

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

IMHO, never do a OTA update. Always download the new OS to my PC and update via Desktop Manager. Always back up with DM before and back up 3rd party apps with BBSAK (BB Swiss Army Knife). While you are at it, remove the cod for OTA updates, then you can choose when and what to update. I've update my OS about 30 times over the past year and those times that I have problems I was glad that I had my OS on my desktop to undo it if needed. Good Luck.

SoccerRef

0 Likes
jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't do an OTA update.  I didn't tell it to, nor did I schedule it.  Verizon somehow forced it upon it's normal over night automatic reboot.

0 Likes