Custom Message tones
slick314

I have a question concerning custom message tones. I have one set for a contact but it always plays the default message tone. I have even deleted the contact and re added. When I do that the custom tone works for a little while then reverts to the default tone. I have other contact that work just fine with a custom tone but this one certain contact will not work. When i go to sounds for contacts it shows the tone i want but still plays the default tone. Again - this is only for one of my contacts. Anyone else have this same problem? please email me if you can help. This is driving me CRAZY!!! lol

0 Likes
Re: Custom Message tones
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey slick314,

I know it's getting frustrating, but don't let it drive you crazy!  I am here to help.

I need a bit more information to determine the exact cause and find the best solution.  What model Blackberry Curve do you have?  Where did you obtain the custom ringtone you are using for this contact, and how did you download it to your phone?  Have you tried removing and redownloading the ringtone?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
slick314

Anthony, The phone is a BLackberry Curve 9330. I got the ringtone from Zedge.com. I have tried a few different tones, and for some reason it is just  this one contact. I have a different tone for my son and my wife and they work fine but the one for my daughter does not stay on. it shows in the sounds for contacts but my default tone plays for her. i even deleted her as a contact and re did it and it would work for a little while then revert to the old tone.

Thanks

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for the information slick314!

Tell me how your daughter's number is saved in your contacts, as a 7 digit or 10 digit number?  If saved as a 7 digit number, please add the 3 digit area code & save.  I would also like to suggest testing your daughter's contact with one of the pre-loaded ringtones on your Curve.

Let me know the results of your testing.

Thanks again,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
slick314

it is saved as a 10 digit number i did assign a preloaded tone to her contact and when she txt me it still played as the default tone that was assigned. gremlins maybe? lol

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

I had this exact same issue and fixed it about a month ago, I think you need to delete the contact and manually add it again. It should work then. Sometimes the address book becomes corrupt. Just restoring it from a backup doesn't work. Try this and post back the results.

0 Likes
slick314

I did delete the contact and added it again (more than once). The tone was set but when I receive the txt message, it was the default tone. and this is the only contact that will not work

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Have you tried a different tone? Maybe it isn't recognizing the ringtone?

0 Likes
slick314

i changed her ringtone for txt and it didnt work. then i changed the default one and it played the new default tone even though in her contact info the custom one is listed there........scratching my head on this one

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Is the ringtone you changed her to for txt a RIM ringtone or one you downloaded?

0 Likes