GPS Locator, Tracking for Blackberry Storm,Curve
Tecia

Good Morning, I have a blackberry curve. My Daughter and Husband have the blackberry Storm. I was wondering if there was a way to track/ locate my daughters location when she is out. I have google maps/latitude that I downloaded for free. But, it is not always very accurate. It will say they are in one location when in actuality they are pulling up the driveway.  Does anyone know of anything we can download on our blackberries that Verizon will allow GPS tracking /locating.

Thanks for all your help and feedback

0 Likes
Re: GPS Locator, Tracking for Blackberry Storm,Curve
bamagirl92

I believe that this can be done with the Chaperone feature.  It costs $4.99/mo per line (you would pay for your line (parent phone) and her line (child phone)).  You will need to check to see if they phones are parent/child chaperone compliant.  Not all phones are complaint and some are "parent only" complaint.  Typically, the more sophisticated the phone it becomes only "parent" compliant.  You may find that to be true of the BB line of phones. 

This is the only way, that I'm aware of, for you to do what you are wanting to do.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Tecia!    There is another program you might want to also keep your eye on.   The company is currently in negotiations with Verizon now to bring it to Verizon's Blackberry devices.   It's called "{no third party software/apps links please}" . . . it's kind of a like Chaperone but goes a lot further :smileyhappy:

dancingphone.gif

Message Edited by WendyM on 07-25-2009 12:00 PM
0 Likes
Tecia
Thank You, But the Chaperone service is not available with the blackberries. Thanks for the suggestion though
0 Likes
Tecia
Thank You will look and see if "loop" will work
0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Loopt . . . isn't quite available at this moment but hopefully will be available for the blackberry's on Verizon shortly.   It is available on other designated Verizon devices.

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
capy01
I am one of Verizon's long time customers. I spend $250 a month on phones. I have always wanted an iphone because of it's ability and software apps. I have been waiting patiently for Verizone to get a phone that could compare. Years later with much frustration, I am ready to abondon ship. I had Chaperone on my daughters phone and mine. But I upgraded to the Blackberry on both and found out Chaperone does not work for BB. Great planning on Verizon's part. Found google latitude but they would not unlock GPS for it, so I am stuck with not knowing where my kids are within 4500 meters. Useless! I keep hearing should be availabe soon. Ya right. Having the ability to track my family gives me a piece of mind that you just can't replace with coming soon. I will abonden verizon soon. No longer waiting for them to improve on phones and service. They want to keep third party software out. Well so be it. They can keep me out as well as a customer.
Message Edited by capy01 on 07-23-2009 07:36 PM
0 Likes
phonegeek

Hey Capy01.

please get your facts straight before you complain.  all current blackberrys have had unlocked gps.  you should probably ask for help before demanding things that already exist.

phonegeek 

0 Likes
mdram

capy01

why get a iphone and go backwards for technology

they cant even support google latitiude

http://www.pcworld.com/article/168996/Crippled_Google_Latitude_Web_App_Spotlights_iPhone_Fault.html

the lack of multitasking is crippling to a smartphone

they dont pic message(maybe the  3gs will)

they just got a video camera

even the most basic free verizon phones do this

if you do a google search you can find many apps for your bb

even ones that track people for the same price as verizon with more features

i just did a google search and found several

and apple has so much more control over the apps on the iphone then any on bb or winmo

you really need to do more research

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1

Regarding "all current blackberrys have had unlocked gps. "  I think the GPS is unlocked only for BlackBerry Maps, aside from VZNav. 

To the OP, BlackBerrys were originally intended for business use, not for teenagers and kids.  Maybe VZW just hasn't caught up with the times in having usage controls.  But there are thousands of apps for BlackBerry.  Just go to Handango.com, Mobihand.com, or Crackberry and you will see more apps  than you could ever use.  Also BlackBerry App World has hundreds you can browse and download directly to your BB.

0 Likes