Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Past customer returning to U.S. for two-week visit
koby2

June 2011 I signed up for a two year contract, receiving a Storm 2 Blackberry.  A week later I left for Europe, not knowing how long I'd be away from the U. S. The account and phone when unused, and I payed seventy and some dollars a month through November/December before canceling, and paying three hundred and sixty something for the phone.  In the meantime as Verizon does not offer service in Europe I'm using a Nokia with a Vodafone contract, but doing without when on the Continent.  In early February 2013 I'll be in California for two to three weeks, and would like to have the Storm 2 phone available for phone and e-mail use in the States as I leave the plane in San Diego.  Separately I'd like to have the Blackberry unlocked before returning to the U.K. for use there and in Europe.  Questions: can I get a short term arrangement with Verizon for use of the Blackberry while the U. S.; and will Verizon unlock the phone before I leave the U. S. in order that it can be used while I'm abroad for telephone and e-mail?  Detailed advise would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Past customer returning to U.S. for two-week visit
silver6056

You MIGHT be able to activate it on the $80 smartphone prepaid plan, hard to tell from the web page:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/prepaid.html

(There is Already Have a phone part towards the bottom).

Re unlocking, I am only familiar with the postpaid rules (have to be a current customer for a period of time, account in good standing) and I don't know how they apply to prepaid.

0 Likes
koby2

Thanks for replying to my query.

td

0 Likes
SydneyK

If your account balance was paid off, your ESN should be clear and I don't see why you couldn't purchase a few weeks of service.

Re: unlocking, you can ask, but I anticipate you may run into problems because Verizon will want you to be a customer in good standing for a certain length of time. Plus, Verizon may not unlock a phone that hasn't been active for a certain length of time. If you run into problems, an alternative is purchasing an unlock code elsewhere.

0 Likes
verizonmoderator1

<See for an additional reply.>

0 Likes