3G routers compatible with UMW190 modem
rcurl

I just installed a UMW190 modem and a Zoom 3G router and wanted to share some information with the forum.

I contacted a number of router manufacturers to check compatibility with the UMW190, and here's what I found out:

Linksys- not supported

Airlink- not supported

Aluratek- not supported

Netgear- not supported at the moment, but they expect a new firmware release very soon

Zoom- supported

Cradlepoint- supported

Between Credlepoint and Zoom, the best value is Zoom, so I ordered a 4501 for about $60.

When it arrived I powered it up and plugged in the UMW190 and was very surprised (and pleased) that it came right up and deliverd a good strong WiFi signal to my laptop without ANY configurration whatsoever.

I did log into the router and set up security and a few other things.

I did notice that the router is not able to retrieve signal strength information or any other information from the modem, but since it is working well otherwise, I won't worry about that for now.

I live in a very rural area, so even though I am getting good throughput from the modem I have ordered a Yagi antenna just to make sure the signal stays rock solid all the time.  I'll post more information once the antenna arrives.

If anyone else has information about other routers that support the UMW190 It would be helpful to post that information here.

So far I'm VERY happy with the way things are working!

-Rick

0 Likes
Re: 3G routers compatible with UMW190 modem
Not applicable
I have two CradlePoint routers and they both work great. One is a "failover" router for when my Charter cable goes down and the other is a small "travel" router. I use them with a Verizon USB760.
0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

Besides Cradlepoint I recommend the Nexaira Router the Nexaira router has a lower failover refresh rate about 10 seconds.  You can read more about the Nexaira Box http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3331/179/

0 Likes
kate2800

Last weekend, we also bought a Zoom and hooked it up..........no problems at all.  then it just quit.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
rcurl

kate2800 wrote:

Last weekend, we also bought a Zoom and hooked it up..........no problems at all.  then it just quit.  Any suggestions?

I still have not had any problems at all with mine.

When you say it quit- is it totally dead- no lights at all, or will it still power up?

Have you checked with Zoom tech support yet?

-Rick 

0 Likes
kate2800

I have not contacted Zoom support.  Actually the lights are on now, but they weren't yesterday.  When I plug the Verizon USB into the zoom the lights stay on, but I get no internet connection.  I have to admit that I am NOT tech savvy; but it did work just fine and I have made no changes, makes me think something is wrong with the Zoom.

Any experience with the Zoom tech support, will it take hours and can they speak English? 

0 Likes
rcurl

Is the 3G light lit on the router?

If you plug the modem directly into your computer and use VZaccess manager can you connect to Verizon?

Did you enable security on the router?  If not, it may have been hijacked.

You might want to try to log into the router to see if anything turns up there. To do this, open your web browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1.  You should see a screen that has the red Zoom logo in the upper lefthand corner. The default password is admin.  Look in the Wireless modem information section  and see if it says "connected".  If you can't get to this screen you may have a wifi problem.

I don't have any experience calling Zoom tech support because (knock wood) it has worked flawlessly since I took it out of the box.

-Rick

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

For anyone considering router Cradlepoint and Nexaria will be supporting LTE from Verizon, food for thought

0 Likes