Re: 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L - Can't Charge and Use?
bill-mifi

The solution to either make or purchase a charge-only cable works with some clarifications. 

First, the charge-only cable must have the white-green wire pair shorted on the micro-usb (device) end.  Some charge-only cables on the market are supplied with no white-green data wires installed at all.  This will not work since the MiFi unit does not recognize the cable as charge-only.  The 3g-store claims to sell a proper cable although I did not purchase this to confirm.  I made my own.

Second, the comment on the limitations of PC-USB ports with respect to power is correct.  Some PC manufacturers will supply at least one USB port that can supply the full current but the other ports will not.  Unfortunately, it depends on the manufacturer and model if the charge cable will work with the MiFi unit powered up. The unit resetting is an indication that the connected USB port is not adequate.

This is probably why Novatel decided to not support charging via a cable tethered to a computer while WiFi radio is powered up along with LTE radio. I would tend to "blame" PC manufacturers who are making cheap products.

On MacBook Pro machines, the USB port closest to the power supply typically works. I have tested this successfully on 2008 non-unibody MacBook Pros 15/17 with the port on the left next to the mag-safe power port.  I have also tested this successfully on 2010 unibody MacBook Pros 13/15/17 with the rear-most USB port (closest to  mag-safe power port although not adjacent). I have had these powered for as long as a full day at work with no issues.

My suggestion is to have others report similarly on other manufacturers and models of computers with respect to the USB port compatibility on their machines. 

I have also noticed that the MiFi sometimes stalls and this does seem related to the WiFi, not the cell connection.  I have tried the "g" setting as described elsewhere in the forum and this seems to lessen the problem.  Perhaps a firmware update will be required to completely eliminate this issue.

Other than this inconvenience, the speed rocks where LTE is available.  I was getting a download via Google for Chrome the other day that recorded 1997 kBps in my download manager which translates close to 16 mbps - like cable speeds.  

0 Likes
Traveler10

I purchased a charge-only micro USB cable from Seidio to try.  Booted the MIFI, established a signal.  Plugged the charge only cable into my MacBook Pro (unibody 6,2) and the MIFI switches off.  

Tried plugging the MIFI into a USB iPhone wall charger with the same charge only cable and the MIFI switches off.

Plugging the MIFI into an AC wall charger is OK.

Plug the MIFI into my car's Belkin 12VDC car charger with the USB charge only cable and the MIFI swtches off.

Open to ideas.  Not really interetsetd in disecting cables and making my own if possible.

0 Likes
Cyberdoc
Supposedly in one review VZW was going to enable USB charging.
0 Likes
bill-mifi

The issue is not providing the capability to USB charge.  This issue is the inconsistency in power output, particularly with PCs. One, not all ports provide the full 500 mA maximum per the USB specification.  Two, in other instances when multiple ports are in use on the PC, power output may be insufficient on any of the ports due to total power load on the inbuilt USB hub.  This would compromise the MiFi unit when all radios are operational and power draw is high.  Unless the power requirements drop with future chip implementations of the LTO MiFi from Novatel, I doubt we will see official support for tethered power with WiFi on the current model.  See my post above as I have performed extensive testing. It DOES work with the proper cable on the proper port on specific machines.

0 Likes
MVick

EASY SOLUTION

Go to boxwave.com and purchase their USB Charger adapter for the Ipad 2, which has the same issue of not being able to charge from  USB.

This 6in, $7.95 dongle charges the MIFI 4501L while it is on and active.  It also works if you plug the dongle into an IGO protable power charge for complete portability.

0 Likes
cuzajp

What about using Motorola P793 - Universal Portable Power Pack or buying a second battery? Shouldn’t be necessary, but if needed wouldn’t these options work to lengthen the use?

0 Likes
Wbcole01
I use a standard Tumi phone charger that came with multiple tips.. It allows me to charge my Mifi from laptop USB port or their battery charger while the wifi stays on! It also charges my iPhone and iPad as well.. It's $90 but money well spent.
0 Likes
WarpNine

I just picked up my MiFi yesterday (6/8/11). I was aware of the 'no-use-while-charging' issue before I purchased it. I did my research and felt this one would best work for me (4G LTE, VPN, etc...). 

I have experienced the same issue with the WiFi radio shutting down when I plug the wall charger into it. I also plugged it into my MacBook Pro using the USB cable I use to charge my Mophie Juice Pack for my iPhone. I got the same result. The WiFi shut down and it began charging. I was about to settle for the fact that I could at least charge on the road from my MacBook, but would have to work offline.

Then I thought to myself... has anyone tried to actually turn on the MiFi back on after charging has begun? Apparently... NOT!! I pressed and held the power button for a second or two. The battery symbol disappeared and then reappeared along with the antenna symbol! After the usual wait time, an internet connection was successfully established (3G only because my house is slightly out of area sometimes).

My iPhone, iPad, and MacBook are currently connected to my MiFi and ALL have internet access while the power adapter is connected and the MiFi is charging. The battery symbol on the display is still strobing from left-to-right and appears to be charging normally! This without purchasing any other items!

To be honest, I haven't tried this with my USB charging cable for my Mophie Juice Pack yet. I wanted to make sure the MiFi was actually charging while in use. I'm gonna give it an hour or so. I'll post again after I test it.

Everyone, please give this a shot before condemning Verizon, buying anything else, or chopping up your brand new cables. Let me know how it goes...

Later folks! 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I will comment to say that my WiFi 4510L was just returned as my 30 day demo recently expired.  I would love to have tried WarpNine's suggestion about pressing the power button once the device turns off.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce his work around?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I wanted to post an update on this issue.

When I recieved my permanent device I tried powering it on when USB connected to my laptop.  Although the device did power up and stay powered on, the MiFi did not broadcast its SSID or allow me to connect to the internet.  Its a little decieving to say the least but atleast its consistent with what I expected. 

After researching the hardware specs on my laptop I was able to determine that my USB ports provide 500 mA of power.  Perhaps Mac's provide more power to thier USB ports which is why it works for them.  Some other forum postings had suggested that the MiFi needs a full 700 mA in order for it to remain powered on and charging at the same time.  Although the wall/car chargers can provide that kind of power, the USB ports on my laptop cannot.  Even if they would work they would not allow the device to charge and be in use at the same time.  The best I could do would be to extend the battery life of the MiFi while it was USB connected.

If anyone ever finds a work around besides hacking apart the USB cable I would love to know.  For now it seems like its a hardware compatibility problem more than anything.

0 Likes