4G Mobile Hotspot on Android is very slow
DavidDK

I have an LG Spectrum and the 4G Mobile Hotspot is very slow. I am connecting to the hotspot from a Windows XP computer. When I run speedtest.net on the computer, I get both upload and download speeds of often less than 1 MB/sec. In addition, the connectivity itself is very flaky and hangs up frequently. I have spent a couple hours going over the problem with Verizon level 2 tech support and they suggested it was a phone issue and sent me a new phone. I got the new phone today and still have the same problem!

One interesting thing is that the speedtest.net thinks I am in Kansas and identifies a Kansas server. I am in South Carolina, but manually selecting a local server does not noticeably improve the speed. This computer connects fine with other WiFi sources. And I have checked other computers connecting through my hotspot and they are slow also.

Does anyone have this problem. Do you have any suggestions or possible solutions? If the 4G mobile hotspot is really this slow, then it might as well be 3G!

0 Likes
Re: 4G Mobile Hotspot on Android is very slow
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi DavidDK,

I also use the Mobile Hotspot, and I know how convenient it can be! I regret to learn of the issue you are having and I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have already taken. I would like to ask a few questions and provide some additional steps for troubleshooting.

1. When using the Hotspot, do you have the device connected to the PC? If not, please try this and let me know if the speeds get better.

2. Have you ever gotten good speeds, since owning the Spectrum? If not, when did this issue begin?

3. Have you updated the software on the Spectrum? You can check this by going to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Update>Check For Updates. If you have yet to update the software, please do so and then re-test. Please let us know your results. Here is a link for the Spectrum update, in case it's needed.  http://bit.ly/LXUAO2

Best regards,

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes