5 spot receives email but wont send thru current carrier...
racingcrazy29

I have set up 5 spot and everything is working great! except when sending an email with my current carrier. Ive been with this carrier for many years and really can't afford to change my email addy. My carrier is not a web based email acct. How can I get my email to go thru my current carrier, is it just a setting? or do I really have to change my email address? or does my current email carrier have to reconfigure there server to accept verizon to go thru them?

0 Likes
Re: 5 spot receives email but wont send thru current carrier...
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

racingcrazy29 wrote:

I have set up 5 spot and everything is working great! except when sending an email with my current carrier. Ive been with this carrier for many years and really can't afford to change my email addy. My carrier is not a web based email acct. How can I get my email to go thru my current carrier, is it just a setting? or do I really have to change my email address? or does my current email carrier have to reconfigure there server to accept verizon to go thru them?

You can certainly keep the same email address. Note that you do NOT have to use the same server to send that you receive on; as long as you are receiving email from your current address you can keep it. As to why you cannot send there are a couple of possibilities:

1. You have not entered the user ID and password into your mail client for your ISPs SMTP (outgoing) mail server. If you are on the ISP's network it may not be needed, but it will be if you are off-net.

2. Your ISP does not permit connection to their SMTP server from outside of their network. This is one approach to preventing the ISP from being used by spammers. They may have a different SMTP server for off-net; check their web site or call them. If this is the case you must find another SMTP server when using the MiFi. Unfortunately Verizon does not provide an SMTP Relay Service anymore (other wireless carriers do in the US, but Verizon gave it up over a year ago). 

One option is gmail, which DOES offer SMTP service for people with gmail accounts. You will need to set up your current email address as an alternate in gmail. See the gmail web site for details. There are also a number of commercial SMTP servers.

0 Likes