5GB Limit. Really?
Synexis

Does anyone know if the 5GB cap has a legitimate purpose? Is there not enough bandwidth for everyone to share? If that's really the case then I can be OK (albeit unhappy) with the policy. But if it's just so Verizon can make a fortune on 5 cent per MB overage charges then that's another discussion. Just wanted to share my 410KB worth.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Re: 5GB Limit. Really?
xOriginalNinjax
Contributor - Level 1
I know I've had friends that have the same cable internet provider that I do, and they've gotten warning notices that if they continue using their services at the rates they are, they risk disconnect (he would literally download movie after movie in HD) because he was using more than 5gb of data each month for 3 consecutive months...they're all getting stingy with their usage. :smileysad:
0 Likes
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I hate it... can't stand it. It's waaaaay to expensive to have such a small cap. And the internet traffic is such a pain!!! I get disconnected all the time; it irritates me to see that I'm "connected" yet "dormant"... when really I wasn't dormant, there was just so much internet traffic I couldn't get online anymore. So dumb.

And yes, the overage charges are total bull... If they wanna nitpick mb usage, then why don't they charge per mb instead of charging us every month as if we used our entire 5 gig allowance? I want my money back!!!

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

Their really is no reason for them other then to make huge profits at our expense.  It is in my opinion that we the rural user are being raked over the coals. We finally have HIGH speed broadband after suffering for years at 56k or less because of our countries inability to reach rural America.. Blackberry and other smart phone users are not the main consumers of high speed mobile broadband, we are. The future of the internet is not in wired but in the more cost effective wireless market and companies like Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T know this.

They didn't have to lay cable for us to become customers. Imagine if the wired companies ie cable, fiber imposed a 5GB cap. People would turn off there cable, fios in a second and simply do the DTV route which I currently do. 21 digital channels that I pay not a penny for. So no there really is no reason. If I'm mobile I just pull into about every place on the road that has free wifi and connect that way . I don't need email on a phone or the ability to surf over my phone whatsoever and neither do most other people. I can blow 25mb an hour just surfing and not downloading anything. Now most websites push flash movies on you that load without you even giving consent. or big flashy ads like on the Verizon main page.

Can you imagine a family of 4-6 where their children need to access the internet for school  or people that take college courses at home trying to get buy on 5GB a month. Should they be penalized for wanting to use the internet or even worse have to go for 200 bucks a month for 10GB a month cap. I think not. These caps are not even close to a fair amount of data for the price we pay. I'm actually quite amazed that in today's crappy economy that wireless companies have done nothing to ease the burdens on our families. Lower costs etc, etc. In case you haven't figured it out I'm on a mission to get these caps removed one way or another by spreading the word. Contacting government officials agencies like FCC, FTC, BBB, Congressmen and Senators who do actually investigate consumer complaints. Regretfully we consumers can't do anything to change these big corporations from doing whatever they so choose.

I say get rid of early termination fee's. That in itself would change the mobile and wireless world as we know it now back to businesses competing for our business once again.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
Guys, if the limit is too small, cancel. It's that simple. If wireless internet is your only home option because you live in a rural area, whose fault is that? Verizon certainly didn't move you out there. You wanted to live "away from it all," and guess what? You do, including internet. Verizon never said their services were intended to be your primary internet connection, you made that assumption. Oh, and as for the cost of providing wireless internet being cheaper? Well, you're correct that Verizon didn't have to lay cable to get to you. They only had to build a few million-dollar towers to get to you. That's not cheap.
0 Likes
Doodle

Zehan: I guess all us rural area folks could move to the city. Then what would we do about the services some of those rural areas provide. LIKE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
No one is saying you shouldn't live in a rural area, but it's not fair to blame Verizon for not providing the type of internet service you require. Your complaint should be with the internet providers who do not cover your area.
0 Likes
Doodle

You did "You wanted to live "away from it all," and guess what? You do"  Do you think we haven't been on the phone with every internet provider that we can talk to about getting service.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
I'm sure you have, but I still fail to see how it becomes Verizon's responsibility to fill the gap left by local providers.
0 Likes
Doodle

My problem is, I was sold a service and was told the 5GB limit would be enough for what I do online. For 7 months everything was fine, then suddenly the usage amounts doubled. I have NOT changed the way I use the internet. After many calls they finally tell me it is a problem with the tower. Now I have to call every month and stay on the phone forever. I just want what I pay for and it to be right.

0 Likes