800 mb > 5 gb?!
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having way too many problems with Verizon, so soon after signing up, too. Now that I got a new number for my usb modem, I shouldn't get any more premium texts anymore (since Verizon doesn't know how to block them, or even stop them before giving out recycled numbers), I get a text saying I've went over my monthly data allowance. I've only used about 800mb of the 5 gig. In what bizzaro world is 800 mb greater than 5 gig?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 800 mb > 5 gb?!
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked all of the places before hand, thanks... including my own bandwidth monitor that is up to the second (I don't know why the access manager doesn't come with a live monitor... it's only a few hundred kb of extra code).

Anyway, when the 5 gig is broken down into a daily usage for the month, that's all I was allowed to use for those first few days, however no one told me that. The salesman, the access manager, and even my profile here on the Verizon website all said I had 5 gig to use for those few days, never showing my actual allowed data usage. That was all taken care of, though; they took off the charges since my true allowed usage was not ever given to me. Problem solved (one of the many I had with Verizon so far... 13 days into starting with them).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

800 megabytes is obviously not larger than 5 gigabytes. So you're either reading your usage wrong, or doing your math wrong.

Also, if you got a new number and you changed it in the middle of your billing cycle it would prorate your 5 GB allowance. That's what is most likely causing your issue.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

If you are referring to the first month, if you started midway thru your monthly billing cycle, you are allowed just 2.5GB, and so on.  Each day is about 170 MB, roughly.  Is this your first month or not?

0 Likes
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know how to read my usage, thanks. I even had it read to me when I called the number it listed in the text, though there was no help or answers to be found there.

Now, if I was only allowed about 170mb a day, why does the access manager not say that? Lazy programming? It only tells me I have 5 gig to use when it should be programmed to tell me I had less than that to use. Not only that, I specifically asked the sales person how much of the 5 gig I was allowed to use. He said I could use all 5 gig. I don't know if I'll be charged overages, but I shouldn't have to pay when the sales person AND the access manager say I have 5 gig to use; not my fault Verizon doesn't know how to program or train their staff.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

I suggest you log onto the verizon site and check the usage detail yourself, rather than relying on the manager software.  I don't ever use (well I used it for setup, initially) the manager program.  Go to "my verizon" and go to the phone number used for the broadband hardware you purchased, and check data usage there.

0 Likes
najach
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked all of the places before hand, thanks... including my own bandwidth monitor that is up to the second (I don't know why the access manager doesn't come with a live monitor... it's only a few hundred kb of extra code).

Anyway, when the 5 gig is broken down into a daily usage for the month, that's all I was allowed to use for those first few days, however no one told me that. The salesman, the access manager, and even my profile here on the Verizon website all said I had 5 gig to use for those few days, never showing my actual allowed data usage. That was all taken care of, though; they took off the charges since my true allowed usage was not ever given to me. Problem solved (one of the many I had with Verizon so far... 13 days into starting with them).

0 Likes
Not applicable

There is no actual daily limit or quota is there?  You get 5 GB per month and can use it anytime you want.  I think people need to be careful how they explain things and not imply something that is not true.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

The first month, the allowance is NOT 5GB, but just the number of days left to your billing cycle, times roughly 170MB per day.  Only when you get to the second month and beyond do you get 5GB from cycle to cycle.  However, it doesn't matter how much you use per day, it's just that the total can't exceed 170MB times the number of days til the end of the cycle.

0 Likes