A deactivated AC 30 Fivespot -- Is it "global," GMS capable?
TravelFreak

Hi!

I found what seem to be very useful instructions for the Fivespot CA30 from Verizon:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=39294

QUESTIONS REMAIN:

1. To connect the computer to the Fivespot AC30 in WiFi mode as described in the instructions, does the Fivespot HAVE TO BE currently on the Verizon network? I would like to use my deactivated former AC30 in Europe. I see conflicting information online. Inside the device I only see a reference to CDMA, not GSM. Also, the ZTE (manufacturer) manual online states the AC 30 Fivespot runs on CDMA, no mention of GSM. Elsewhere and on Verizon, however, I have seen references to the AC30 as a "global" device. True?

2. Is there a SIM lock on the AC30? Or is the device itself locked so it can be operated only with a Verizon SIM?

In sum, the AC30, can it be used in Europe, i.e. on an GSM network? Does Verizon lock the device? I don't want any nasty surprises, having purchased a pre-paid data SIM card from KeepGo. This SIM card will require an unlocked, GSM-capable device....

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: A deactivated AC 30 Fivespot -- Is it "global," GMS capable?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your questions, TravelFreak. I guess your name says it all since you want to travel with this.
If the device is not activated we are not able to troubleshoot it or unlock it  using our network.
I do wish you safe travels!

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: A deactivated AC 30 Fivespot -- Is it "global," GMS capable?
TravelFreak

Tamara,

Thank you for your reply. Okay, I still have 10 days. I canl go to a Verizon store and activate the AC 30. Will I then be able to have it unlocked for use in Europe WITHOUT a Verizon SIM? Is the AC 30 GSM ready / capable?

Dana

0 Likes