Am I being charged data when connected to but not on internet?
jameskay

Am I being charged data when connected to but not on internet?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Am I being charged data when connected to but not on internet?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jameskay,

This is a great question! Depending on which phone you have it may be running apps that use data in the background. This means that while you do not see the app running on your screen or your screen is turned off it may still be using data. If you are connected to Wi-Fi most apps will use that connection instead of our Verizon cellular data connection, but if you'd like to ensure that data is only being used when you want it to there is an easy process to take. You can simply turn off your Cellular/Mobile Data in the settings and turn it on only when you want to use it.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jameskay,

This is a great question! Depending on which phone you have it may be running apps that use data in the background. This means that while you do not see the app running on your screen or your screen is turned off it may still be using data. If you are connected to Wi-Fi most apps will use that connection instead of our Verizon cellular data connection, but if you'd like to ensure that data is only being used when you want it to there is an easy process to take. You can simply turn off your Cellular/Mobile Data in the settings and turn it on only when you want to use it.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You are only billed for communication that goes out to the VZW network/Internet.

Anything you do within your own LAN connected devices is not billed against you.  Feel free to file share amongst your personal devices all you want.

The trick is to make sure what you are doing is not actually touching the internet.  As soon as any communication goes out to the internet it will be recorded and held against you on your data plan.

0 Likes
Alan_Schaffer
Enthusiast - Level 2

My internet service is arbitrarily using data 4 times a day and at the same time every day.  Yesterday's "arbitrary" usage was 1.1gb of data.  This device provides my home wifi and being charged for device "pings" or device updates should not be charged to my data usage.

0 Likes