Blackberry and tether or PC card
Tuckster
 Will I lose much  speed if I tether a blackberry to my laptop from my current PC card ?? I know that I won't be able to receive calls when tethering
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry and tether or PC card
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Depends on what type of blackberry/pc card you have and if they're Rev.0 or Rev.A

The Blackberry Pearl8130, Curve8330 and WE8830 are Rev0. Only the Storm9530 is RevA. For the modems: KPC680, PC5750, MIFI, USB760, USB727, UM175 are all Rev.A.

See where I'm going with this?

So if both your devices are RevA or Rev0 then speeds are gonna be the same. But if you have a Rev0 Blackberry and a RevA card then you will lose some speed while tethered.

More details help...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Depends on what type of blackberry/pc card you have and if they're Rev.0 or Rev.A

The Blackberry Pearl8130, Curve8330 and WE8830 are Rev0. Only the Storm9530 is RevA. For the modems: KPC680, PC5750, MIFI, USB760, USB727, UM175 are all Rev.A.

See where I'm going with this?

So if both your devices are RevA or Rev0 then speeds are gonna be the same. But if you have a Rev0 Blackberry and a RevA card then you will lose some speed while tethered.

More details help...

0 Likes
Tuckster

Thanks .... thats more info than I've been able to get in the past month. I have a Verizon Wireless UM150 USB Modem thats a little over a year old (I'm on the old unlimited plan). I have not purchased a blackberry yet which brings me to another question ... what is the difference in a Blackberry and a PDA/smartphone ????

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
I agree with the data performance of a dedicated data card vs. a Blackberry. On top of that, a BB will be more flexible for voice use, data on the go, etc.

Most smartphone/PDAs run a Windows-based OS rather than Blackberry OS. In my opinion, after a few years of using both, the Blackberry is more stable, faster and more reliable than a WinPDA. Your results and preference may vary. I've used both PDA and BB tethering and they work equally well.
0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1

BlackBerry makes a wonderful product.  I have not used any other PDA/Smartphones.  I see that you have decided on a solution, but have you thought about a MiFi?

0 Likes