Enthusiast - Level 1

Can I leave a jetpack 6620 attached to the wall charger 24/7/

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I leave a jetpack 6620 attached to the wall charger 24/7/
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yes you can.

However we do not suggest that you do.  Jetpacks will overheat and break down due to prolonged power charging.  Your Jetpack will start to display connection problems much quicker if you don't ever give it a break like its designed to do.  A Jetpack is a travel device designed to be highly mobile and for temporary usage.  Using the device outside of its design parameters is asking for trouble. 

If you want a device that is intended to be powered on 24/7 then there are much better choices out there.  For example the 4G LTE router, USB modems or LTE Internet (Installed).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yes you can.

However we do not suggest that you do.  Jetpacks will overheat and break down due to prolonged power charging.  Your Jetpack will start to display connection problems much quicker if you don't ever give it a break like its designed to do.  A Jetpack is a travel device designed to be highly mobile and for temporary usage.  Using the device outside of its design parameters is asking for trouble. 

If you want a device that is intended to be powered on 24/7 then there are much better choices out there.  For example the 4G LTE router, USB modems or LTE Internet (Installed).

0 Likes
kccrosser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to a Verizon store intending to purchase the 4G LTE router, but the salesperson convinced me that the 6620 MiFi Jetpack would work better - that they had too many people returning the 4G LTE routers due to excessive data charges and the Jetpack would provide the same capabilities.

I need full time cellular WiFi connectivity, which means the unit must be powered 24x7.

Are you saying that the salesperson was wrong?  I am finding that I need to reboot the Jetpack every 2-3 days - is that due to overheating?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Are you saying that the salesperson was wrong?

Kind of.  The 4G LTE router is a better device for 24x7/always on connections.  Its hardware is better suited for the task than a mobile hotspot device like a Jetpack.  Anything that a local salesman may have mentioned could be a personal observation more so than a science or a fact.  4G LTE routers are no less susceptible to overages than any other VZW mobile broadband device, but at least the hardware can handle being powered on all day long.

If you don't trust the 4G LTE router then I would suggest getting a USB modem and a USB modem compatible device such as a Cradlepoint router as my next best option.

> I am finding that I need to reboot the Jetpack every 2-3 days - is that due to overheating?

Yup.  Its either overheating or the natural limitations of the low powered antenna losing connection to the local towers periodically through the week.  Jetpacks aren't made to be left online all day long.  They are not a good primary internet replacement device.  They will work as you have confirmed above, but you need to reboot them periodically and pay more attention to them than any other home networking device.

kccrosser
Enthusiast - Level 3

On a separate thread, Verizon Support suggested setting the jetpack mode to "LTE Only".  I did that, plus I got an external 4G LTE antenna, and turned off the blue flashing light by setting "stealth mode".

Since then, no hangs or reboots for the past 2 weeks.  The device is never in direct sunlight and never seems too warm to the touch.

Seems like it may have been the "hunting" for the LTE signal that was causing the hangs.  I wouldn't think turning off the flashing blue light would have much effect on the device heating, but stranger things have happened...

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Good feedback, thanks for sharing : )

0 Likes