Connecting MiFi 4510L mobile hotspot to a PC
abmad12

I recently upgraded my mobile hotspot to the 4510L 4G LTE. My previous MiFi device allowed me to connect my PC to the internet by USB cable. My new device came with a USB cable however it says its only used for updates/upgrades. I tried to use it anyways to connect my PC to the internet and it did not work. Of course the new device works well wirelessly with my laptop. Can I use my new device to connect my PC to the internet?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting MiFi 4510L mobile hotspot to a PC
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

You will need to go wireless unless your PC has no wireless you will need a router to do WIFI as  WAN to your MIFI 4510L and then you can plug in an ethernet cable directly from your PC to the router, I recommend getting the MBR95

http://www.3gstore.com/mbr95

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttb_62
Enthusiast - Level 2

you will have to go wireless.

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

You will need to go wireless unless your PC has no wireless you will need a router to do WIFI as  WAN to your MIFI 4510L and then you can plug in an ethernet cable directly from your PC to the router, I recommend getting the MBR95

http://www.3gstore.com/mbr95

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You cannot tether / connect to the MiFi 4510L via USB cable. 

The MiFi is wireless connection only device.  USB and Ethernet cable connections will not work with the MiFi.  If you need to use a cable then you must add a different device such as the one suggested by evdotech. 

ex. MiFi ))))wireless)))) MBR95 ---cable--- Computer.

The USB cable is only used for charging and firmware updates.  The 2.23 firmware update will enable you to take future updates over the air further reducing the use of the USB cable.

0 Likes
ttb_62
Enthusiast - Level 2

These days you can get a usb wireless adapter for next to nothing. easy installation to desktop pc. why pay for a router.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I'm with you ttb.

Every situation and user is different tho, we cant assume that everyone is interested in the cheapest solutions.

0 Likes
ttb_62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I was thinking more about why use a router when the 4510 is a wireless router. The reference to cost just came out of my hidden cheapness. I don't even remember typing that. There is some expensive usb wireless adapters out there. If the pc has a pci expansion slot. But there a little more to install them. But a person can learn pretty quick how to.

The extra router would be good if they wanted to add more then five pc's. Plus the WAN is wireless also. Some may find that difficult to connect. Not to difficult. But if your just hooking up one pc.

0 Likes