Data Use Question
davidpatey1000

Ok, Im new to data use, etc.

Im looking into hooking my Mom up with the 5 Gig plan at her rural location in OH. To perfom a laymen test, I downloaded netmeter,  and simply surfed the net, off an on, at my leisure (at night, off work) with random sites, videos, emails, pics, etc...for 2 days now.

Again, Im new....but netmeter shows my total usage (download and upload) at 9.6 GB. Is this right? For 2 days? I hit a Metallica video (thats right!) on youtube twice, a handfull of saved emails pics from a digital camera, and many other random google searches, several normal webpages, onling banking...all the normal stuff I do with my normal cable broadband. You know, to gauge will this work for her???

She will use her laptop, I might guess, ABOUT the same as I have in last couple days. Am I reading the numbers from netmeter wrong? Minus the videos, I gather that eats a lot of data...etc....can a little old lady in rural OH make it on 5 Gigs a month? Emailing, light surfing...avoiding videos...etc?

Thanks for any input.

0 Likes
Re: Data Use Question
Not applicable

For the past several months I have used 4 to 5 to 6 GB per month.  This month it looks like I am going to use just over 10 GB because I watched lots of football on Justin.tv.  I have Verizon Broadband and Charter cable.  She should be OK if she stays away from video and music downloads.

0 Likes
davidpatey1000

Follow up. I wonder, if for whatever reason, the data usage I'm showing will differ? As in, I'm using a HP Mini Netbook with cable broadband....would that somehow differ from the broadband card?

Also, for the record, she is on the way to Verizon to get set up. They apparantly offer a 30 day trial, which sounds fishy for some odd reason....so I will post back with the latest soon. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The 30 day trial is legit.  You can cancel anytime during the first 30 days and not have to pay an early termination fee.  I also use NetMeter to track usage.  It does not distinguish between cable, dsl, or Mobile broadband.  Usage is usage, regardless of the connection.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

The return policy on a Mobilebroad device is....

Within 3 days you can return and get a FULL refund (including your ACTIVATION fee ($35)).   you would only be responsible

for the DATA you pulled thru the device in 3 days.

Within 30 days you can return the device and you will get a FULL REFUND (however, you forfeit the activation fee return).

You would be responsible for any data pulled thru the device.

After 30 days, you are in a contract (1 or 2 year, which ever one you signed up for).

If you dont buy directly from Verizon (such as Bestbuy) make sure they followup.  they didn't cancel my contract, and I got a bill for some $235.00 (go figure).

I think the Verizon folks follow up on things a bit more.

0 Likes
Doodle

How old is this little old lady.

If she doesn't watch videos, download music, etc. she should be fine as long as she has a good signal. If she is getting a Mobile Broadband signal that is good. If she gets National Access it will be as slow or slower than dial up. Trying to load a normal page can eat away at the MB if it's on National Access.

For 6 months I loved Verizon Wireless. It was great then suddenly large amount of overage. If she is on a fixed income make sure she doesn't set up payment from her checking account. The 7th month my bill was $250.00 this would have cost me a lot more had it been taken from my checking account.

It's been 4 months and I'm still waiting for them to fix the tower so that I get the signal I was getting in the beginning.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Travis1
Enthusiast - Level 2

steaming video and music will eat your data usage in a day or 2.     you just have to pace yourself and watch your usuage. it tells you your new amount everyday.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The Verizon usage meter can lag 2 or 3 days at times.  Use NetMeter for accurate usage.

0 Likes