Extender Enabling Location Based Services?
ColdnFrosty

For the first few weeks that I had the Network Extender, my Google Latitude would always how me in Manhattan instead of up here in the Granite State. I always thought this was a bit odd since the Extender has a built-in GPS. Within the past few days, I am now showing where I should be. Did VZW update the firmware recently ont he Extenders to enable location based services?

0 Likes
Re: Extender Enabling Location Based Services?
nicknrm
Enthusiast - Level 3

The network extender DOES NOT support any type of location based services (LBS)...at all.

It's a shock it shows the correct area, now...Your Google may just kind of guess your location. If you were using VZ Navigator, it WOULD NOT work at all.

0 Likes
Re: Extender Enabling Location Based Services?
FrayAdjacent

Nick,

You are incorrect. The Network Extender DOES pass some manner of location information to your handset. 

For instance, when I'm at home with my Droid connected to the Network Extender (verified by making a call and hearing the tones) with the phone's GPS turned off, Google Maps will come up and show me in Wylie, Texas.  I also get weather alerts from the Weather Channel app for Wylie, Texas.

I am just outside of Elgin, Texas, some 230 miles south of Wylie, Texas.

Now, if I turn on my phone's GPS, it then shows my correct location on Maps down to a couple meters.  If I turn off the phone's GPS, and turn off the Network Extender, Maps will show me about 10 miles west of where I am, but that's MUCH closer than 230 miles north.

Conclusion:  The Network Extender does in fact pass location data to the handset.  This location is usually incorrect, as witnessed by quite a few users posting about this very issue.

0 Likes