FTP problems
amenfjr

I just changed over from Hughes satellite service to Verizon wireless broadband. With Hughes I was able to use Syberduck to transfer files. I can't get the files to transfer using Verizon. Can anyone tell me how to make FTP work with Verizon?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: FTP problems
molaker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Old thread, however... I'm in the same position as the OP.  I maintain a personal website and currently use FrontPage (HTTP) to publish to my site.  I cannot use FTP.  Research with port testing software indicates Verizon blocks nearly all ports except  those needed for common browsing. 

1056 Ports Tested
Ports found to be OPEN were: 25, xxx, xxx, xxx
Ports found to be STEALTH were: 80, 443

(some ports x'd out for my own peace of mind, but they were NOT 20 or 21)

FTP uses port 21 and, I think, FTPS uses 21 & 20.

I don't know if Verizon can or would open FTP ports for individual customers (I doubt it).  But, this sure puts me in a pickle as Microsoft has discontinued FrontPage Server Extensions support.  Windows 7 (IIS 7.5) does not support it and when my hosting service upgrades their server(s), the new server will not support FPSE either.  Without FTP I will not be able to publish to my website.  Verizon's policy of blocking FTP ports could be responsible for bringing down several websites and that would be a shame.

0 Likes
rcurl

Hi-

Just to let you know, I use FTP on Verizon all the time with no problems at all.  I use CoreFTP as my client, and I'm using port 21 most of the time.  I'm regularly on half a dozen different FTP sites (Including GoDaddy), and it always goes without a hitch.

Any chance it's a local firewall problem?

-Rick

0 Likes
molaker
Enthusiast - Level 3

After a long conversation with Verizonwireless tech support assuring me they do not block any ports, I asked if it was possibile if ports were being blocked only at the cell tower I use.  His answer was "Maybe".  Since the tower originally belonged to AllTel (and I had the FTP problem then, too) then there might be port blocked locally.  Interestingly, tech support said they have no way of checking.  So, as soon as I get a chance, I'll take my laptop and try another tower.  But, that could be a while.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I just upgraded to 4g today.  While checking this forum for speaker interferance I found this FTP problem.  I tested it on my very old reliable WS_FTP32 and it failed to connect to any of my sites  -hosted by Network  Solutions BTW.

This is a dealbreaker for me.  Fast or Slow I've gotta make a living.   Taking it back tomorrow if they can't fix it immediatly.

0 Likes
njtech

I am not seeing any issue with FTP. I have the pantech 4G modem and connected

to LTE and can connect to ftp and transfer.

What is the exact error your are seeing?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not the origional poster, but if you're asking me, here goes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINSOCK.DLL: WinSock 2.0
WS_FTP32 3.00, Copyright © 1994-1996 John A. Junod. All rights reserved.
- -
connecting to 173.205.127.22 ...
Connected to 173.205.127.22 port 21
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 21 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 13:13. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 30 minutes of inactivity.
USER ghosth6
331 User ghosth6 OK. Password required
PASS xxxxxx
230-User ghosth6 has group access to:  ghosth6
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
PWD
257 "/" is your current location
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Host type (2): UNIX (standard)
PORT 10,168,70,123,6,140
200 PORT command successful
LIST
425 Could not open data connection to port 7666: Connection timed out
DoDirList returned 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and that's about it.   I found I can use the hosting sites own shabby FTP's to get the jobs done.

I called tech support and they've got a work order on it.  It'll be interresting to what comes of that.

Problem 2:  the speed has dropped to my old 3G levels    < .6 mgbts .  What's with that?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

UPDATE:  After the FTP problem I had   R E A L  problems tying on faster than my old 3G.   That's more or less solved.

I upgraded to a later version of WS_FTP and it seems to be working ok now.   Why Verizon had a problem with old WS_FTP32    I don't know.  FileZilla also worked but I hated it.

0 Likes
molaker
Enthusiast - Level 3

After all the crap I went through with Alltel then Verizon, I finally got the answer (sorta) to my no FTP problem.  I switched to a MiFi 2200 and FTP just fine.  After some more testing, the problem proved to be my PC5750 was only passing ports 80 & 443.  Now, does anyone know how to change that?  VZManager doesn't have the option unless it is hidden.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try changing the ports settings on the device.  

You can change additional setting using administrative options.

Launch a web browser then navigate to 192.168.1.1.
Refer to Connecting to a Wi-Fi networkfor additional assistance. Select the appropriate operating system: 

Enter the passwordthen click Login.
The default password is admin.

For more information copy and paste the link below into your browser's address bar. 

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=23755

0 Likes