FiveSpot Harware Issues?
kwanbis

I have had the USB dongle for my notebook 3G connection for some time already. While not "fast", it works about right.

So, this week, i decided to buy a FiveSpot, so i can hace the same functionality, but be able to share if needed.

So, the first unit would have issues. It would turn off, it would not charge while turned on. It would drop connections. It would shut off the wireless part for no reason.

OK i thought, maybe this is a faulty unit. So, I went to verizon, and they gave me a second unit.

Same problems: would not charge while working, would loose wi-fi power for no reason (for example, at this moment, i'm about a meter from the fivespot, and my notebook is showing only two bars, and then, it shows all bars), it drops connections, it hangs, etc.

And above all this, the connection speed sucks. It is very, very slow. And i'm not trying to download a big file, i'm talking about normal pages. Even posting here took a lot of time.

So, is there any known issues with this service? Is there any firmware update i can try? Or should I return the unit an get another service?

I have had the USB dongle for my notebook 3G connection for some time already. While not "fast", it works about right.

So, this week, i decided to buy a FiveSpot, so i can hace the same functionality, but be able to share if needed.

So, the first unit would have issues. It would turn off, it would not charge while turned on. It would drop connections. It would shut off the wireless part for no reason.

OK i thought, maybe this is a faulty unit. So, I went to verizon, and they gave me a second unit.

Same problems: would not charge while working, would loose wi-fi power for no reason (for example, at this moment, i'm about a meter from the fivespot, and my notebook is showing only two bars, and then, it shows all bars), it drops connections, it hangs, etc.

And above all this, the connection speed sucks. It is very, very slow. And i'm not trying to download a big file, i'm talking about normal pages. Even posting here took a lot of time.

So, is there any known issues with this service? Is there any firmware update i can try? Or should I return the unit an get another service?

PS: all this appears to happen in wireless mode, not in usb mode.

0 Likes
Re: FiveSpot Harware Issues?
kwanbis

Last night, after getting terrible connection in wireless mode, i use it on USB mode, and the performance was much, much better (10 times at least).

Never the less, after about an hour, the thing went down.

It looks like the units are overheating after 1 or 2 hours of use, and they go crazy.

0 Likes
moates
Contributor - Level 3

I have provided some information below that may help.

To ensure you obtain a reliable wireless connection I would recommend the following:

Step 1 - Relocating the device (something in the immediate area could be effecting the signal received).

Step 2 – Ensure the device is set in Wifi mode (instructions below)

-Disconnect the supplied USB cable (if it is currently connected)
-Power the device off (the power button may need to be held down for up to 15-20 seconds)
-Power the device on (the power button may need to be held for up to 3-5 seconds).
-Once the device comes back on, allow 10 – 15 seconds for the device to obtain a Wifi connection.

**After being tethered if the device is not set into Wifi mode (like instructed above), the device will not obtain a Wifi signal.

**Once the Wifi is broadcasting, the default SSID is Verizon AC30 XXXX. The default password would be the MEID (in decimal format) located on the battery cover.

If you are still having issues with it power cycling and dropping connection, I would also recommend resetting the device.

Reset the device (instruction article provided below)
http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=36433

0 Likes
oldgram1

I just returned my 2nd Fivespot to a Verizon sales office today.   On the 1st one I could only connect with WI-FI and it shut down repeatedly.   I was sent a new one and it kept shutting down (maybe got too hot) and then I couldn't get it to turn back on.   I was very frustrated and when I took it back and just briefly mentioned to the customer service person that I was having problems, the other rep there whispered to the worker I was talking to, "give them a Wi-FI".    I had barely said a word up to that point.   This told me they are not acknowledging there is a problem, but they have obviously dealt with this a "few" times

and have recognized the solution is to replace the Fivespot.    So far, everything seems to be working well with the Wi-FI.   I didn't even know there was such a thing until I started researching problems with the Fivespot.   Why the original salesman did not recommend it is a question.  It was also great being able to go from a $59.99 plan to a $35 plan.  

P.S.   I think I'm on a 1st name basis with most of Verizon tech support personnel after so many calls.

0 Likes