How do I set up a wireless network with a MiFi 5510?
E-A-Black

I have a friend who would like to set up a wireless network in her home office. She currently uses a MiFi5510L for internet connectivity, shared between two PC's. She recently purchased a Samsung wireless laser printer, and now she would like to network all four devices.

I've seen other discussions here about (A) the need for a second router to complete such a network, or (B) using the MiFi as a router. I don't know which direction is best, and we're hoping someone can help us set up this wireless network.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I set up a wireless network with a MiFi 5510?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

To answer your questions:

(A) No, there is no need for a 2nd router.  As long as your devices are all WiFi capable then there is no need for additional hardware.

(B) The MiFi is a wireless router and can perform all of those duties by itself.   All she needs to do is connect the devices to her MiFi and she's good to go.

However, if your friend wishes to create a more advanced environment where it is possible to take the MiFi on the road and leave a local network up and running at home then an additional wireless bridge or repeater would be needed.

For example:

MiFiandRepeater.png

The big limitation of a MiFi is that it is a wireless only device.  To connect a 2nd router (access point in the picture) the 2nd router would need to have a wireless repeater or wireless bridging feature.  That is the only way you can connect a MiFi to another router.  I use something called a Pepwave Surf Mini but there are many other wireless repeater/extender/bridge models out there too.

The other limitation of a MiFi is that it has a limited broadcast area due to its size.  If you are hoping to place one MiFi in a home and have it cover anything outside of the current room then you are going to want to invest in a repeater to provide better WiFi coverage.  If that is the case and she does not plan on traveling with the MiFi then I would suggest going with a Verizon 4G LTE router or VZW HomeFusion instead.  The 4G LTE routers and HomeFusion routers are more like a normal home networking device and are better suited for home replacement.

Let's also assume you have taken into consideration that VZW wireless internet data plans are not very friendly as a permanent home internet connection.  Your friend will have a tough time on anything other than VZW HomeFusion with the existing data plans and their caps.  Only HomeFusion offers an advantage in this area.  For anyone hoping to use an internet connection at home I would advise looking into a landline/cable and non-capped ISP first.

Please feel free to let me know if you need assistance with anything else in this area.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How do I set up a wireless network with a MiFi 5510?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

To answer your questions:

(A) No, there is no need for a 2nd router.  As long as your devices are all WiFi capable then there is no need for additional hardware.

(B) The MiFi is a wireless router and can perform all of those duties by itself.   All she needs to do is connect the devices to her MiFi and she's good to go.

However, if your friend wishes to create a more advanced environment where it is possible to take the MiFi on the road and leave a local network up and running at home then an additional wireless bridge or repeater would be needed.

For example:

MiFiandRepeater.png

The big limitation of a MiFi is that it is a wireless only device.  To connect a 2nd router (access point in the picture) the 2nd router would need to have a wireless repeater or wireless bridging feature.  That is the only way you can connect a MiFi to another router.  I use something called a Pepwave Surf Mini but there are many other wireless repeater/extender/bridge models out there too.

The other limitation of a MiFi is that it has a limited broadcast area due to its size.  If you are hoping to place one MiFi in a home and have it cover anything outside of the current room then you are going to want to invest in a repeater to provide better WiFi coverage.  If that is the case and she does not plan on traveling with the MiFi then I would suggest going with a Verizon 4G LTE router or VZW HomeFusion instead.  The 4G LTE routers and HomeFusion routers are more like a normal home networking device and are better suited for home replacement.

Let's also assume you have taken into consideration that VZW wireless internet data plans are not very friendly as a permanent home internet connection.  Your friend will have a tough time on anything other than VZW HomeFusion with the existing data plans and their caps.  Only HomeFusion offers an advantage in this area.  For anyone hoping to use an internet connection at home I would advise looking into a landline/cable and non-capped ISP first.

Please feel free to let me know if you need assistance with anything else in this area.

0 Likes