How to Tether Mifi and have Wifi too
Tech_Addiction
I found this on JKK Mobile.  All you have to do to allow Wifi while tethered to your PC is to download the config file found in Advance tab when logged into the router using http://192.168.1.1 while in Wifi mode.  I also found that Fire Fox is not friendly with the router address.  Use IE for logging into the Mifi router.  Download the config file to your desktop.  Open up notepad and drag and drop the config file into notepad and look for this string <routeroverusb>0</routeroverusb> and change the 0 in the middle to a 1 like this <routeroverusb>1</routeroverusb>.  Now save it and go back to the download page on the advance tab and browse for the file you just edited and saved and  then click upload.  After it loads just log out and now you can charge and have Wifi while tethered.  Let me know if you have problems with this.  It worked like a charm for me.
0 Likes
Re: How to Tether Mifi and have Wifi too
krelvinaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tested this and it works great.

I connected first with WiFi and downloaded the config file.  I modified it and uploaded it back to the MiFi...  The MiFi will then go off line and restart.

After I was able to reconnect to the MiFi and confirm the setting, I disconnected and this time connected the MiFi to the notebook via the USB cable.

Used VZAccess and saw both the device and the WiFi from the Device.  I could then connect to either without any issues.

I am currently connected right now via WiFi only with the USB cable connected to the notebook.  I have another connection via my Cell phone up and running at the same time.

Message Edited by krelvinaz on 08-16-2009 11:00 AM
0 Likes
Tech_Addiction
I also noticed that you cand view the string that says how many connections to wifi you can have.  I wonder if you could change it to say 6 or 7 and it work?  I know you probably wouldn't want to give up that much bandwidth though.  I don't have that many wireless devices to try it.  Anybody want to give it a try?  Also there may be a string in there that controls the power on while charging.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
I don't have trouble using Firefox to log in to the router...
0 Likes
Tech_Addiction
I guess I should have been more specific.  When I went to download the Config file using Firefox it just opened the file in the Firefox window rather then asking me first if I wanted to save it.  IE allows you to get a Save As window.  Maybe it is a setting on my part that needs to be changed in Firefox but IE also seemed faster when moving around in the router settings.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
True, in FF, the file is opened in a FF tab, but why can't u just choose File, Save Page As?  it defaults to a .sav file type...
0 Likes
Tech_Addiction
Thanks, yeah I just copied the contents and pasted it into a notepad file and even though it was saved as a text it still uploaded and worked.  I'm on Win7 and have had a lot of problems with the Save file box that Firefox uses either hanging and not responding or just taking a really long time to release.  I just found IE easier to use when dealing with this file type.  I didn't mean to mislead anyone that Firefox was a bad browser.  I still use it for everything else.  I have one of the Viliv S5 UMPC's and Firefox makes it totaly useable ie Grab&Drag.  I like F11 as well.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

Cool. 

I've got Win 7 RC1 on 2 of my machines and I really like it.  In fact, I like it enough to have ordered 3 copies of Win 7 for $49 each, at Amazon.  :smileyhappy:  Can't wait to load it up on my netbook  (Acer Aspire One), which is one machine I don't have the RC1 on. 

0 Likes
Tech_Addiction
I have 3 copies of Home premium and 1 copy of Professional on order from Amazon as well.  The Professional version to make sure it has Remote Desktop Hosting and because I want to run 64bit on my XPSM1330 which is what i'm running now build 7100.  I have a Dell Mini 9 with 64gb Runcore and 2gb of Ram.  A Sprint Touch Pro on VZW that runs Remote Desktop since Comcast and Outlook don't play nice together.  I have a Desktop thats Hosting Remote Desktop to push mail to the Touch Pro via VZW Sync.  When I don't get my mail I think I should I log in with the Touch Pro and click through the Network Password error.  I think it's funny how when you set up a new Outlook account that Comcast sends an automatic email to that account telling you to use Smart Zone web mail so you can see the advertisements.  That tells me they probably have code that causes the network password error to pop up so you will get frustrated and switch to their web mail.  (End of Rant).  I purchased the Mifi because I like to have easy internet access to my portables and Ipod Touch while at work and while sometimes Dj'in.  My cell phone works just like it with HTC Wifirouter installed but it heats up really bad with both data and Wifi radios active at the same time.  I don't want to cook my phone. lol  I bet thats why the Mifi heats up so bad as well.. both radios on at the same time in Wifi mode.
Message Edited by Tech_Addiction on 08-16-2009 05:33 PM
0 Likes
mike52

hey, i tried doing this and it allowed me to tether the mifi and connect via wifi but the wifi connected device did not get internet access. It says "Local Only". I tried it on more than one device 😕

Please help

0 Likes