I have a thinkpad t400. Exactly what do I do for a internet connection through my cell phone?
Goodmudder

I would like to know exactly how the get an internet connection through my cell phone, a casio brigade with data package.  Can I use the modem? And how?  The 400 has upgradeable wwan for broadband, but exactly what do I need to do to set it up?

0 Likes
Re: I have a thinkpad t400. Exactly what do I do for a internet connection through my cell phone?
Not applicable
Click on "Plans" at the top of the page, then "Mobile Broadband." There you will see the Verizon plans and what phones can be used and the prices.
0 Likes
Re: I have a thinkpad t400. Exactly what do I do for a internet connection through my cell phone?
IndyAgent

I have a T510 that came "upgradeable" from Lenovo, too.  This only means the antenna and software is installed in preparation for a mobile broadband device... hence the term "upgradeable".  You still have to purchase the expresscard... in my case I chose the Gobi 2000.

If you pick the Gobi 2000, you must specify VZ as the BB provider.  When you install the device, you still have to download the drivers, contract with VZ for a BB plan, download VZ Access Manager, and activate your service.  Once that is done, you get a 10-digit phone number just as if you had a cell phone in order to complete activation.  If you use the Lenovo AdvantageTool when you get ready to activate your plan, you will be assigned the Lenovo-VZ 2 year contract.  IF you want to avoid that, you can call VZ tech support and they can help you activate your device on a CPE basis w/o ETF and no long term contract.  :smileyhappy:

P.S.  If you already have a VZ cell phone with service, ask VZ if there is a bundled price that will include your BB plan.  I don't know anything about this other than there is a "tether" capability for some phones, which requires a cable adapter.  I don't know much about this since I only use my laptop on VZ BB and have another carrier for cellular service.

BTW:  The Gobi installs both as a Modem and as a Wireless Adapter, so you will see two separate devices installed in your hardware manager.  If you check your hardware manager and there is no wireless modem or wireless WWAN network adapter, then you don't have the required equipment to use mobile BB on your laptop.

0 Likes