I plug in the USB760, nothing happens
thaumielx72

The green light comes on, then blinks a little, that's it.

No error messages of any kind.  No window opens up.  Nothing.

I am on a Toshiba Satellite a215-s7416 with Vista Home and 4 GB RAM.

The green light on the front for wireless is on, the Fn F8 key says wireless is on.

The icon in the tray (when I place cursor over it) says :   Local Area Connection

[edit]

Wireless Network Connection

Wireless connection unavailable

Any help you can give here would be appreciated.

:smileysad:

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: I plug in the USB760, nothing happens
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

thaumielx72 wrote:

The green light comes on, then blinks a little, that's it.

No error messages of any kind.  No window opens up.  Nothing.

I am on a Toshiba Satellite a215-s7416 with Vista Home and 4 GB RAM.

The green light on the front for wireless is on, the Fn F8 key says wireless is on.

The icon in the tray (when I place cursor over it) says :   Local Area Connection

[edit]                                                                                                     Wireless Network Connection

Wireless connection unavailable

Any help you can give here would be appreciated.

:smileysad:

Do you install the VZaccess Manager software? You have to install this in order to connect to the Verizon Wireless network. It looks like you are connect to your loca wireless network. 

0 Likes
thaumielx72

JB, the manual that came with the package (and the Verizon salesman who sold it to me)  says just put the USB modem into the USB port and the installation automatically begins.

That's pretty much what I'm saying here.  Nothing ever begins and I can't load the VZ Access Manager since it's not anywhere on  my machine.

Do I open a window on the USB port and run it myself?  If so, how do I tell Explorer to look to that particular folder?

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

Try this:

- Plus in the UBS760 into a USB port

- Go to "Start" -> "Computer" (or My Computer)

- Under "Devices with Removable Storage", click on the drive labeled "VZAccess Manager (E:smileyhappy:

This should start the installation of VZAccess Manager. 

0 Likes
thaumielx72

Nope, the only things showing up in that window are my hard drive and the dvd.

Nice try, tho.  (Thats what I was thinking about in the last post.)

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

thaumielx72 wrote:

Nope, the only things showing up in that window are my hard drive and the dvd.

Nice try, tho.  (Thats what I was thinking about in the last post.)

Well, if that didn't work you can go to the VZAccess Manager site and download the lastes software and install it that way. 

http://www.vzam.net/

0 Likes
thaumielx72

OK downloaded the software, started to install it.  I ran into problems and, out of frustration, put the USB modem into a different USB port and it started to take off.  I even had two seperate Installs running at the same time.

Just a heads up in case the problem ever comes up from someone else in the future.

Thanks for the help.

(Incidently the USB port I switched to was in use most of the time by my cooling tray.  It may have been cleaner, not as dusty as the unused one, sice it (the cooling tray) is always plugged in.)

0 Likes